Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold installation failing for Houdini 19.08.589

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
jordan7SQ7S
1328 Views, 18 Replies

Arnold installation failing for Houdini 19.08.589

So for some reason my question regarding this issue was "flagged as spam" which is idiotic. I posted zero external links and made no references to anything non related to my issue. I have a couple of Arnold licenses and I'm about 5 mins away from just abandoning as Clarisse IFX has been providing stellar results without all the headaches, crashes and IDGAF attitude that seems to pervade Autodesk these days. Honestly if you haven't taken a look at Clarisse IFX and what an amazing companion it makes to Houdini your really missing out. My last job had almost 120 billion polygons and Clarisse didn't break a sweat. Now if this post gets flagged at least that will make some sense to me. 

Sorry for any perceived attitude but we were two days behind on a broadcast deadline and the radio silence from Autodesk as well as the "spam" flagging on a legitimate issue has my nerves a bit frayed. Ok, apologies again and enough ranting. 

I used the automatic installer for HtoA and nothing shows up on the shelf tools. So I took to edit the Houdini.env file like I have with the other third party renders I use. I only have one installation of Houdin on this system and only one houdini.env file keeping this simple. 

I added:

PATH = "$PATH;C:\Users\jorda\htoa\htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589\htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589.py3\scripts\bin"
HOUDINI_PATH = "C:\Users\jorda\htoa\htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589.py3;&"

Those directories were copied and pasted directly from their locations on my system to avoid syntax or other issues. My version of Houdin shows Python 3 in the apps title bar but I have tried both the py3 and regular installs of HtoA. 

It may not matter and I doubt it will help but just in case there is some issue, here are my software and system specs. 

Windows 10 ver. 19044.1645

Houdini 19.08.589 

AMD Threadripper 3990x 64 core 

128GB RAM

4x 3090's using Studio driver 512.59

Thanks and hopefully this makes it past whatever brain dead method of flagging spam this forum is using. 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
rachid_1
in reply to: jordan7SQ7S

Hi
In Windows OS you have to change the backslash (\) to forward slash (/)

PATH = "$PATH;C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-${HOUDINI_VERSION}.py3/scripts/bin"

HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-${HOUDINI_VERSION}.py3;&"
Hope this help!

Message 3 of 19
jordan7SQ7S
in reply to: rachid_1

Thanks Rachyd, 

I will try that. My understanding is that forward slashes were used for Houdini version before 15? Let me give it a shot though!

EDIT ---

Looked at the Houdini.env file on my other computer running Houdini with Redshift and your right - the slashes are forward. Unfortunately it has not solved the Arnold problem on this one machine but thanks again!

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

No dice unfortunately... thanks for suggestion though! 

Message 5 of 19
rachid_1

Do you have Arnold showing in the main menu bar?
arnoldMenu.jpg
By default there is no Arnold Shelf. you have to Add it by clicking on the pluas sign
arnoldShelf.jpg
if does not work
try json file rather then the env file
Create a packages folder in C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\Documents\houdini19.0
save this code as Arnold.json
{
"env":[
{"PATH": "$PATH;C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-${HOUDINI_VERSION}.py3/scripts/bin"},
{"HOUDINI_PATH": "C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-${HOUDINI_VERSION}.py3},
]
}

Message 6 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

Nothing in the top menu system. Yeah - I remember having to create shelves by hitting the + for RS, 3Dlight but no TLN for Arnold is visible. 

Oh - nice! Thanks for writing out the details for the .json script. I will try that right away.  

Message 7 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

Gave it a shot ...

Message 8 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

Ah no luck ‌‌:/ there was already a packages folder from when I installed SideFX labs so I just created the Arnold.json file in there and pasted the script into the document. At first I though something had happened as the Houdini console reported that new icons were being generated. Nothing ever showed up on the top level menu or in the + to add a shelf. 

I'm probably going to move on. As much as I absolutely love the look of Arnold and would like to use it on jobs that are rendered directly out of Houdini I think I'm just going to keep moving towards an alembic to Clarisse IFX pipeline and render out of Clarisse. It's been a little too frustrating and taken too much time. Arnold may still get some use inside of C4D on motion graphics jobs but even there we have been using Redshift. Feels like a waste of two licenses but I'm not sure what to do at this point. 

Thank you for your efforts!

Message 9 of 19
rachid_1

try this:
rename or delete houdini19.0 folder in C:\Users\XXX\Documents\houdini19.0
create new houdini19.0 folder with packages folder and put only Arnold.json file
it should work ! if not look at your OS environment variable, maybe there is something there!

Message 10 of 19
Stephen.Blair

I don't see anything at support@arnoldrenderer.com for a Houdini install case.

Often these kinds of problems are a conflict with the settings for other renderers.

So you may want to try with just HtoA and no other third-part packages or plugins.

Can you post the info from Help > About Houdini > Show Details?

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 11 of 19
jordan7SQ7S
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hi Stephen, 

I deleted the other third party renderers which were at one point Octane, Redshift and 3Deligh. Octane and Redshift still remain on the system as they are needed in other DCC's we use.  Any references however have been removed from the Houdini.env file. 

I appreciate the effort and the reply but TBH as much as I love Arnold I'm sort of over it at this point. It shouldn't be this frustrating or time consuming. 

Message 12 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

Hey Stephen,

Maybe I can give this one more try. Here is the show details text file generated from Houdini. Oddly it does show that Arnold.json is loaded but maybe that doesn't actually load the renderer and just indicates that it sees the json file. 

Message 13 of 19
rachid_1

hum
Your houdini Pref folder is on OneDrive/Documents (houdini19.0)
You have to put the env file or the json file in the same folder OneDrive/Documents/packages

Here is your path, so just correct it
C:/Users/jorda/OneDrive/Documents/houdini19.0
C:/Users/jorda/OneDrive/Documents/houdini19.0/SideFXLabs/19.0.561/SideFXLabs19.0;&
C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589/scripts/bin
C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589;

So must be :
C:/Users/jorda/OneDrive/Documents/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589/scripts/bin

Do the same for another path.
Hope this help

Message 14 of 19
Stephen.Blair

@jordan7SQ7S wrote:

Hey Stephen,

Maybe I can give this one more try. Here is the show details text file generated from Houdini. Oddly it does show that Arnold.json is loaded but maybe that doesn't actually load the renderer and just indicates that it sees the json file. 

It looks like the Python 2 version of HtoA is installed:

C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589;

and the Python 3 version of Houdini:

PYTHONHOME C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.589/python37

// Stephen Blair
Message 15 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

Hello, 

Thinks for the continued help. I uninstalled Houdini and HtoA and decided to try a fresh attempt. Still not having any luck. Please find the attached screenshot. I may try to reach out to Autodesk help also but I recall having a pretty poor experience with days long responses from support representatives a couple of years back. Maybe things have gotten better. 

In the meantime if your still able to take a look things would be appreciated. Please find the attached screenshot that shows the install directories, Houdini.env text, install version and all of the relevant info I could cram onto one screen. I am also including the info text generated by Houdini for the fresh install.  

Thanks again for sticking along on this. 

Message 16 of 19
Stephen.Blair

For HtoA, you have to contact me at support@arnoldrenderer.com

If you start Houdini from the Houdini Command Line Tools, does the Houdini Console window appear? Normally it should, and there should be some HtoA messages. If so, what's printed in the Console Window?

Can try without the SideFXLabs package, in case there's some conflict?

// Stephen Blair
Message 17 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

I Have never run Houdini from the command line tools. Is this different from just bringing up the .exe from the shell in windows?

Is it better if I reach out to you directly at the email you listed? I reached out to Autodesk for support but haven't had a response yet.   

Message 18 of 19
Stephen.Blair

@jordan7SQ7S wrote:

I Have never run Houdini from the command line tools. Is this different from just bringing up the .exe from the shell in windows?

Is it better if I reach out to you directly at the email you listed? I reached out to Autodesk for support but haven't had a response yet.   

Houdini Command Line Tools is a windows command prompt, so basically the same thing.

I guess the HtoA installer is updating houdini.env in your Documents\houdini19.0 folder, that's why you have to edit the houdini.env in C:/Users/jorda/OneDrive/Documents

Because the installer always updates the env file.

By default, the installer would create this folder as the root of the htoa installation:

C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589.py3/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589.py3

Did you change it to be just this?

C:/Users/jorda/htoa/htoa-6.1.1.1_ra2d41db_houdini-19.0.589.py3/

If you want to open a support case for HtoA, you can use support@arnoldrenderer.com
That goes to the Arnold team at Autodesk.
Regular Autodesk support doesn't know Houdini as well as they know Maya and 3ds Max.

// Stephen Blair
Message 19 of 19
jordan7SQ7S

Doooood.....

So your last message got me thinking... maybe the .env file that's being created at the regular users folder ( not the onedrive root ) has the proper strings so I just copied what HtoA had written in that .env file over to the users/onedrive/ version of the env file and it actually worked.... HFS...

To be honest I hate this OneDrive thing I don't remember ever enabling it. I'm scared to death of turning it off because doing that on another machine actually deleted a bunch of files so I feel like my files are being held hostage. I'm pretty certain OneDrive is the source of all my grief on this system. 

Thanks again for your help ... I dont think think the pieces would have come together without your last message. 

Have a great night!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums