Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random crashing with C4D 2024

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
lizGYM66
873 Views, 27 Replies

Random crashing with C4D 2024

I've been getting random crashing with C4D 2024, i.e. just clicking something or adjusting a parameter.

I've attached a bug report from the last one. Just clicked on the Noice imager and C4D hard crashed.

C4D 2024.01

Arnold 4.6.5.1

Mac OS Intel Ventura 13.6

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
peter_horvath
in reply to: lizGYM66

Do you also have crashes without the noice imager? There's a know issue with denoiser imagers during IPR in recent versions, which will be fixed in the next release.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 3 of 28
lizGYM66

that's a good question. Only ready using noice for final render, rest of the the time its ODIN. Does this known issue apply to ODIN as well?

Just did it again. Using ODIN, clicked on an color correct node and C4D just quit.

Message 4 of 28
peter_horvath

Hmm, the issue we've found affects only noice and the OptiX denoiser. OIDN should be fine, so this could be something else. Since you're on Mac, does the Autodesk Crash Report dialog pop up and have you sent in a crash report there?

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 5 of 28
lizGYM66

No pop-up report, just a hard C4D crash. Totally random but seems to be when either in the material editor or in the IPR. Had sent the crash reports to Maxon but they just said it was Arnold causing the crash.

Message 6 of 28
peter_horvath

We've released the fix for the denoiser imagers in C4DtoA 4.6.6. Would you mind to try this new version and let me know if you still experience the crashes?

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 7 of 28
lizGYM66

Already on it 🙂

Message 8 of 28
lizGYM66

Well first up performance has certainly improved, very pleased about that. That said I have had one crash so far, that was with the IPR running and adding a material to a selection. Might be isolated, I'll keep trying.

Message 9 of 28
lizGYM66

Ok, so still crashing. Always when interacting with materials, either adding them, selecting them.

Message 10 of 28
lizGYM66

And another one. Clicked a material.

Message 11 of 28
peter_horvath

Ok, I'll investigate. It's an Intel mac, right? Any chance you can test it in Cinema 4D 2023, so we can verify whether it's a 2024 specific issue or not?

I'm also wondering what happens if you disable the material previews. Go to Edit > Preferences > Arnold > Material and disable all three preview checkboxes.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 12 of 28
lizGYM66

Yup, Mac Pro 7,1. Just got 2024.

I'll try a little later. The random crashing happened on 2023 as far I can remember.Be interesting to see what you guys make of the logs, Maxon say it's an Arnold plugin issue (sent the reports to them as well). However, I've had crashes just like it in Redshift, all in the node editor. Just had one in Redshift, literally just tried to pan in the node editor and it hard crashed. Totally random.

Message 13 of 28
peter_horvath

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce the crash yet. Is it specific to your scene, btw? Can you reproduce it in a basic scene as well (some basic objects and lights)?

Do you have maybe macos crash reports as well? They are located in the ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder or you can check them from the Applications > Utilities > Console app.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 14 of 28
lizGYM66

Thanks for trying.

Not scene specific, but as mentioned, generally happens when using the node editor in some capacity, either changing a parameter or scrolling in the editor window.

Attached two of the MacOs crash reports. The report should match with the C4D bug reports attached above in post #9 and #10.

Message 15 of 28
peter_horvath

Even if scrolling in the node editor? That's weird, scrolling does not trigger a re-render, so that sounds like a c4d UI crash. The two bugreports you have sent earlier indicate it's crashing in Arnold though, but they point to a code which does not make much sense. My best guess is some race condition when running multiple renders at the same time, but hard to tell without being able to reproduce it.

Have you tried disabling the material preview renders as I suggested in a previous post?

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 16 of 28
lizGYM66

So crashed again - this time zooming in in the viewport - IPR was running.

I'll try disabling the previews now.

Message 17 of 28
lizGYM66

Another crash. Just moving around in the viewport. Node editor docked (part of my layout), IPR running, previews enabled (didn't get round to turning them off yet). This was a hard crash, i.e. Mac locked up and eventually rebooted itself. I've had a number of these.

Machine has a fresh install of Ventura, very few others apps.

Message 18 of 28
thiago.ize

Random crashes when doing computationally intensive tasks could be a symptom of the hardware failing. Crashes that take down the OS and require a reboot could also be a sign of failing hardware. Since you're seeing random crashes in redshift as well, this is looking even more like a system issue and not an Arnold bug. If it's not a hardware issue, it could also be some system level software, like the graphics driver, that is buggy.

The log you posted suggests that the GPU hung. Since Arnold doesn't render on the GPU in macos, and no one else has been reporting GPU hangs with Arnold on macos, I would suggest looking into whether your GPU or its drivers might be at fault.

Message 19 of 28
lizGYM66
in reply to: thiago.ize

Thanks for your input.

Well as you know you can't update the drivers unless Apple wants you to or you upgrade to a new OS. I briefly tried Sonoma but Apple have changed something on the Metal API there as compiling shaders under Redshift went from a split second to an hour, and render times tanked. Others on AS were also having weird display issues when using Redshift.

This hard crash though has only been happening when using CPU. I have two 6800X Duo's so I could try a different card but it's never happened before.

Message 20 of 28
peter_horvath

Looking at your latest bugreport, I've noticed a weird thing and found a potential problem. Although I'm not sure it will solve your issue, still worth a try. Would you mind sending an email to support(at)arnoldrenderer(dot)com referring to this thread, so I can send you a custom build with the fix to test?

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report