Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Since Cinema 4D S26, Rosetta2 mode for M1 Macs is no longer supported by Cinema 4D. This means Arnold can not run on Apple Mac models with M series chips in Cinema 4D S26."

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Reply
Message 1 of 13
alexanderSH38K
1213 Views, 12 Replies

"Since Cinema 4D S26, Rosetta2 mode for M1 Macs is no longer supported by Cinema 4D. This means Arnold can not run on Apple Mac models with M series chips in Cinema 4D S26."

Ok, hmm... all our infrastructure has been switched to M1 Mac Studio two weeks ago...  This situation is - to put it politely - not ideal. I think it would be desirable if we could have a cautious time estimate from Arnold/Autodesk - I understand that such future oriented statements are extremely delicate - but in the current situation I think it is necessary from your side to make a better statement than "we are looking at this with Apple". - I hope you can create some clarity and certainty here. I hope you can understand us! Thank you very much!

 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Addendum from 27.04

I really don't want to say anything wrong here - and it could be that I'm wrong! But I believe that the addition:

 

"M1 support is planned in a future release."

 

was not in the release notes the day before yesterday. If I am wrong about this, please accept my apologies.

 

If so, thank you for pointing this out, but I would like to ask again if we could get a little more precise information here? A future version is a very elastic term.

 

And once again: I absolutely understand how difficult it is to make a public statement on such a topic! But nevertheless, a little more transparency would really help a lot in planning. But I'm surprised that I don't get any feedback on this question.

 

Best regards from Switzerland, Alexander

Message 3 of 13

The release notes was updated to reflect that we know that it's important and work is in progress, however as much as I'd like to, as a publicly traded company we can not give ETAs on upcoming features and future developments. I know it's not the answer you've hoped for, but all we can say really is that we are working on it. 


// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 4 of 13
rico
in reply to: alexanderSH38K

How long have we been waiting for a version that runs on the M1 chip? It's almost one and a half years now. That is very sad. And there is no mention of GPU support. I've now moved on to another renderer as far as new projects are concerned. That is very sad. Arnold's implementation and workflow is still the best I know. Especially the plugin for Cinema 4D and their developers are excellent. But if it is the company's policy not to communicate when improvements can be expected, or not to promise them at all (GPU support), this is necessary for the user of the software to look for alternatives. Almost a year and a half after the release of the first M1 Mac, I don't want to be put off for an uncertain time.

Message 5 of 13
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: rico


@rico wrote:

How long have we been waiting for a version that runs on the M1 chip? It's almost one and a half years now. That is very sad. And there is no mention of GPU support. I've now moved on to another renderer as far as new projects are concerned. That is very sad. Arnold's implementation and workflow is still the best I know. Especially the plugin for Cinema 4D and their developers are excellent. But if it is the company's policy not to communicate when improvements can be expected, or not to promise them at all (GPU support), this is necessary for the user of the software to look for alternatives. Almost a year and a half after the release of the first M1 Mac, I don't want to be put off for an uncertain time.


Employees of public companies cannot give out or promise delivery dates because of revenue recognition rules. So the most I can say is that we are working on support for M1 macs, I can't provide an ETA.


GPU support on the macOS would require Apple and NVidia to agree to ship NVidia drivers for macOS. Because Arnold GPU is based on NVidia Optix. 




// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 6 of 13
rico
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

You wrote "GPU support on the macOS would require Apple and NVidia to agree to ship NVidia drivers for macOS. Because Arnold GPU is based on NVidia Optix. " But that's the point. As a user, I am only interested in the fact that a software works. With other renderers it does. Maybe it wasn't the right way to depend on a manufacturer like Nvidia, but I can't really judge that since I'm not a software developer.

Message 7 of 13
alexanderSH38K
in reply to: rico

Even if I marked this question as solved, I would like to add some thoughts here. But first of all, thank you very much for your notice that you are working on this issue. It is far from my intention to get anyone into trouble here by persistently asking questions, and I am also aware of the difficulty of communication as a listed company.

 

Nevertheless, I would like to add the following thoughts to this discussion:

 

The topic, which in the long run is a migration of the Mac version of Arnold from Intel to M1, has not been here since yesterday. In fact, this move has been looming for 1.5 -2 years now. Most players in the industry have reacted early with roadmaps, careful communication or even public beta versions to the coming transition. So some of your competitors were able to build trust in their products very early and also help users to plan their hardware strategy carefully.

 

The interim solution via Rosetta two - which I have now been working with at least since R25, was already a compromise. The advantage of new Fast Mac hardware is actually relativized again. I have been able to accept this as an intermediate step in the migration. With S26, support has now completely disappeared for us from one day to the next. Staying on R25 is certainly a possible solution, but also one that makes me very uncertain about the future. How long will this situation last? How long do I have to wait to use an actually excellent update from Maxon - because of Arnold? Will there be a solution until the next release? Such questions actually annoy me and are not acceptable without good communication. And - they are also not fair to us users. After all, we pay annually for our licenses, which are currently of very limited use.

 

And - finally, based on the views in this forum, I notice that all entries on this topic have been viewed incredibly often - compared to the average of the other questions. It seems that this issue is a serious problem for many users. Also the fact that within a few days you seem to have adjusted the Relasenotes to this question again, shows me that there is indeed a serious problem.

 

My thought or my consideration was therefore that this adjustment calms me down less, but worry me more. I think that the communication from your side would be much more relaxed if the release would be soon. Instead, I just fear that this one will indeed take quite a while. I would like to emphasize that I really draw this conclusion from the really helpless communication. This cannot be in the interest of your company either!

 

For the sake of fairness, I would also like to note that the GPU situation was already known and communicated and explained here by you. I can absolutely understand and accept that!

 

Nevertheless, I had no choice but to decide today as the only safe solution for me and our Team is that we will not start any new projects with C4D / Arnold from now on and have extended my Maxon license with another renderer at the same time. This solution is really not what I wanted or found ideal either. Even more - I think it's a real pity, because especially for my studios I considered Arnold as a really perfect tool.

 

At the same time, we have arranged through our dealer to be reimbursed for our license costs and to be able to return it. Apparently Autodesk is still resisting, but according to German and Swiss law they will have to.

I find this really unbelievably unfortunate and it annoys me. I don't remember ever experiencing such a situation in my more than twenty year career in photography and 3d. I still hope very much that someone will find a way to communicate in a reasonable and fair way and show us users how and when a reasonable working with your tool is possible again for the Mac community - without us having to stay on R25 or using PCs.

 

Please excuse my harsh words here - I have always appreciated Arnold and your support!

 

Message 8 of 13
rico
in reply to: alexanderSH38K


@alexanderSH38K wrote:

 

Nevertheless, I had no choice but to decide today as the only safe solution for me and our Team is that we will not start any new projects with C4D / Arnold from now on and have extended my Maxon license with another renderer at the same time. This solution is really not what I wanted or found ideal either. Even more - I think it's a real pity, because especially for my studios I considered Arnold as a really perfect tool.

 

 

 


It's very sad but we have the same situation here.

Message 9 of 13
jasfish
in reply to: alexanderSH38K

Another update, and once again no support for M1 Macs. This is beyond ridiculous at this point. As far as I know this is the only renderer that has failed to add this support, after what, 1.5-2 yrs?! A real shame, because Arnold is by far my favorite renderer. At some point, it would be extremely helpful someone in the company would at least give some estimate. 4th quarter this year? Next year? Never? It's obviously a low priority at Autodesk, otherwise I'd assume someone would have made sure it was ready by now. Sorry to rant, but I also have never seen this in my 15+ year long career.

Message 10 of 13
thiago.ize
in reply to: alexanderSH38K

Unfortunately we can't give an ETA. I can say we have beta apple native builds being privately tested...

Message 11 of 13
alexanderSH38K
in reply to: thiago.ize

Then why not address the group of highly frustrated Mac users - obviously professionals or even trainers - who seem to be experienced users, and ask them to participate in the beta under NDA? That would be a better option, in my humble opinion, than frustrating the whole group by teasing them with a cryptic note but not communicating a schedule?
Message 12 of 13
rico
in reply to: alexanderSH38K

The fact that Autodesk is only allowed to point out that no information may be published is an example of poor communication and public relations.
Probably it would have been different, if Arnold would not belong to a big company like Autodesk. But that doesn't change the problem.
So it happens that customers turn to other products. As a MAC user, you are anyway in the situation that Arnold will not support the GPU so quickly, or ever.
Arnold is the best renderer I've ever worked with, but I haven't started any new projects with it for half a year now. Even if there will be a version that runs on Apple Silicon, it won't solve the problem of lack of GPU support. And compared to renderers with GPU support, Arnold is very slow.

Message 13 of 13
shawn
in reply to: alexanderSH38K

Add me to the list of Mac users who are rapidly growing impatient for an Apple Silicon-native version of Arnold. I can't imagine how hard it must be to rewrite software for new processors and GPU technology, but both Redshift and Octane figured it out months ago. As I never had the most epic GPU on the PC I use I never really tried the Arnold GPU renderer. I bought a Mac Studio the day it came out with the most CPU power it offered, yet I still don't have anything to run on it. And to say there will never be a GPU version of Arnold on Macs is astonishing. I dunno. Maybe rewrite the software so it can run on non-Nvidia hardware. Again, Redshift and Octane have figured it out.

I've been running C4DtoA for 4-5 years now. I quite like it, despite the CPU version feeling pretty pokey. But when my perpetual license maintenance agreement expired at the end of 2021 I didn't switch over to a subscription. I continue to use the last version I could get on my PC. I'd really like to retire that PC and do everything on my brand-new Mac Studio, and if it takes going to Redshift to do that, I'll do that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report