Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M1 MAX support ?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
lindsay_gomes1
2087 Views, 20 Replies

M1 MAX support ?

Hello When is Arnold gonna come out for the M1 MAX I know for a fact its supposed to be rendering much faster compared to redshift right now that's super fast on the Mac silicon we need it ASAP are we looking at it happening at-least by this year ?

this is sad cause I really love Arnold and its potential but seeing how far behind it is now 😕

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
  • gpu
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

We're working on it, with help from Apple. There's no specific date or time that I can give right now.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 21
thiago.ize
in reply to: lindsay_gomes1

I think there might be some confusion on what M1 Max support means. This chip contains both CPU and GPU hardware. I haven't investigated this, but I suspect redshift is doing GPU rendering on the M1 Max. Perhaps this dramatic speedup you're referring to is for a certain non-apple GPU (was this a desktop nvidia 3090 or a 10 year old macbook integrated gpu?) to moving to apple's new integrated GPU?

Arnold has no immediate plans to do GPU rendering on Apple hardware. What we are working on is letting the CPU arnold renderer run natively on the cpu part of the M1 so it doesn't need to get translated by rosetta. This will very likely give a nice speedup, but depending on your standards, you probably are not going to consider it to be "much faster" (definitely not 10x faster nor probably even 2x faster). You can look online for benchmarks on apple rosetta overhead to get an idea of what kind of speedup you might expect. Sorry I can't say what exact speedup you'll see -- we won't know that until we finish porting it.

Message 4 of 21
rico

It's nice to see these questions answered in such detail here. Unfortunately, there were no answers to them in the past. However, this does not make the decision for the future any easier. I am currently working with Arnold and with Redshift. Arnold is the best renderer in my eyes with the best workflow and integration. However, Redshift is much faster and runs very stable.

In any case, it is a pity that there will be no GPU support for Anrold. I think this will unfortunately make the renderer unattractive for Mac users in the future.

Message 5 of 21
blokdijkfx

Great finally some more details, thanks for that. Although I love Arnold, Redshift is the best option now for silicon Macs. It runs on GPU cores, is stable and already running pretty fast on the current M1 machines. When Apple is going to increase the GPU count on the high end mac pro's (64/128 cores), CPU rendering is not interesting anymore.

Message 6 of 21
joelTCAQF
in reply to: rico

I agree with the other M1 users here. Arnold rendering was quite good on my old intel Mac but the world is changing and openly acknowledging that there is no plan to utilize modern macs potential speed doesn’t seem like a super great sign for the future of Arnold. It’s a bit disappointing. 

Message 7 of 21
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: joelTCAQF

@joelTCAQF wrote:

I agree with the other M1 users here. Arnold rendering was quite good on my old intel Mac but the world is changing and openly acknowledging that there is no plan to utilize modern macs potential speed doesn’t seem like a super great sign for the future of Arnold. It’s a bit disappointing. 

Nobody said there was no plan. There is a plan, and we are working on it.

// Stephen Blair
Message 8 of 21
joelTCAQF
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Well, kind of - I was referring to the admission:  "Arnold has no immediate plans to do GPU rendering on Apple hardware."

Admittedly "immediate plans" isn't technically "no plans". But maybe you'll forgive me since companies often use "have no immediate plans" to put off expectations indefinitely.  

And to be fair, maybe you don't equate GPU rendering with taking full advantage of "M1 potential speed". Hard to know from out here.  In any case I think we're all just hoping that we won't have to start shopping around to take advantage of our machine's speed.

Message 9 of 21
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: joelTCAQF

@joelTCAQF wrote:

Well, kind of - I was referring to the admission:  "Arnold has no immediate plans to do GPU rendering on Apple hardware."

Admittedly "immediate plans" isn't technically "no plans". But maybe you'll forgive me since companies often use "have no immediate plans" to put off expectations indefinitely.  

And to be fair, maybe you don't equate GPU rendering with taking full advantage of "M1 potential speed". Hard to know from out here.  In any case I think we're all just hoping that we won't have to start shopping around to take advantage of our machine's speed.

Sorry, I equated M1 chip with CPU rendering, because we get a lot of questions about Arnold on M1.

GPU rendering without NVidia Optix (which requires NVidia cards) is not something I would tell you to expect in the short-to-medium term. In contrast, Arnold on M1 is going to happen, I just can't divulge dates or timelines.

// Stephen Blair
Message 10 of 21
cucubano

So would this lack of support for M1 max explain the "pre-populate GPU" taking way longer than 15 minutes, concluding you should not pre-populate GPU on M1 max?

Message 11 of 21
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: cucubano

@cucubano wrote:

So would this lack of support for M1 max explain the "pre-populate GPU" taking way longer than 15 minutes, concluding you should not pre-populate GPU on M1 max?

Arnold GPU is not available on macOS, because NVidia drivers are not available on macOS.

How did you run pre-populate GPU ?

// Stephen Blair
Message 12 of 21
cucubano

Just the way shown in the LinkedIn/Learning (formerly Lynda) lesson on Bifrost: right from the BiFrost menu.

Message 13 of 21
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: cucubano

@cucubano wrote:

Just the way shown in the LinkedIn/Learning (formerly Lynda) lesson on Bifrost: right from the BiFrost menu.

In C4DtoA, Prepopulate is on the Arnold > Utilities menu, but only on Windows or Linux.
There's no Bifrost menu in C4DtoA.

In any case, no matter what plugin or host application you are using, pre-populate GPU doesn't mean anything on macOS. Arnold GPU is not supported, and trying to prepopulate will do nothing on macOS

// Stephen Blair
Message 14 of 21
cucubano

OK. On Mac it actually starts "pre-populating" but stays there for ever. Unless you are aware that it "will do nothing" you think the computer is working because it pops-up a progress line that never moves that says "pre-populating". Thanks for you reply.

Message 15 of 21

M1 CPU support is now available in C4DtoA 4.5.0 / Arnold 7.1.4.0

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 16 of 21

Thank you, @peter_horvath and the rest of the Autodesk team!! It took a while (!), but you finally made it happen - well done! Now we can start using our expensive Apple hardware to the max. 🙂

/A really happy C4D+Arnold user

Message 17 of 21
tompkins.ge
in reply to: peter_horvath

Well done! Performance on a Studio Ultra feels excellent.

Only problem I ran in to was files created on a Windows system would lock up C4D when opened on the Mac Studio. Easy workaround was to merge the file into a new scene which worked instantly. 

Thank you for all the hard work.

Message 18 of 21
peter_horvath
in reply to: tompkins.ge

Only problem I ran in to was files created on a Windows system would lock up C4D when opened on the Mac Studio. Easy workaround was to merge the file into a new scene which worked instantly. 

Hmm, not sure why. File was made with the same Cinema 4D version on Windows, right? What kind of assets were in the scene? Only textures? Absolute or relative paths?

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 19 of 21
tompkins.ge
in reply to: peter_horvath

Was made with same version of C4D on both systems.

Contents were a rigged hand holding a product. Simple lighting. Few textures mixed between .jpg and .tx, all relative paths. After the merge I saved the new file to the original's directory and the textures all worked automatically.

Message 20 of 21

Hi Tom

Nice to see your excitement. How would you generally rate Arnold's performance on M1s though? Would you be able to compare it with other renderers you've tried with Apple Silicon?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report