Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve Jagged Edges in Z Depth Pass?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
crazysites
534 Views, 1 Reply

How to solve Jagged Edges in Z Depth Pass?

Hi, I wanted to ask about a problem I am having with the Z pass when extracting it in Cinema 4D with Arnold.

I have seen that there is a similar post in this forum but without a clear answer, so I open again this question. When extracting the Z pass and trying to composite it in After Effects, I see that it has jagged edges.

I have tried changing the filter of the Z pass in particular, from closest to gaussian, but the result does not improve much. This happens even with the simplest scenes.

I have also tried the FXAA plugin in After Effects, but it doesn't solve the problem at all either.
So, I wanted to ask about what would be the process to get rid of these jagged edges, either when rendering in Cinema 4D or in the subsequent compositing. In the rest of the passes I don't have this problem, it only happens in Z Depth.

I look forward to your answer and thank you very much in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
peter_horvath
in reply to: crazysites

Here's a workflow suggestion from another post:

If you anti-alias your Z-depth pass, any anti-aliased pixels would indicate wrong depth values and result in artefacts. In case of aliased Z-depth pass and anti-aliasing on the image, the passes don't align exactly which result in another type of edge artefacts. You can deal with the second problem by rendering your aliased Z-depth pass at double resolution. Add the oversized Z-depth pass and the image pass (scaled at 200%) in a pre-comp. Apply Lenscare and then scale the pre-comp back to 100% in another comp.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report