Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cinema 4d crash when using an OpenVDB

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
JHåland
387 Views, 9 Replies

Cinema 4d crash when using an OpenVDB

Hi, I have now had many crashes with c4d and it seems like there's a problem with Arnold and using OpenVDBs in c4d. Even the standard Volume Loader keep crashing when Arnold is installed.

Tags (4)
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
peter_horvath
in reply to: JHåland

So far it renders fine to me. Could you please tell me your Cinema 4D and C4DtoA version? Does it crash in the IPR or in final render? Does it crash randomly or every time after some specific steps? I suppose you have the same crashes when you load the volume with the Arnold Volume object instead of the Volume Loader, right?

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 3 of 10
JHåland
in reply to: peter_horvath

It can crash without starting anything, just open the file and it can crash at random times. But it stopped when I removed c4dtoa. Yes, started to get the problem with Arnold and tried to break it down as much as possible, and when it even crashed at volume loader I thought it was time to get some help.

Everything at the latest version.
Message 4 of 10
JHåland

Now I've removed every plug but c4dtoa and I still get crashes. I've removed and installed c4d and also the latest c4dtoa. And still it freezes the program, at random places. Sometimes it can render 360 frames without any problem and sometimes just a 30ish. And sometimes it happens when it autosaves or I'm saving the scene, but that's not happening every time, so hard to know what's causing this.

I've got a reply from maxon on the subject too:

Thank you for reaching out to us and sorry for your issues using our software.

The crash still has been caused by Arnolds render plugin (c4dtoa.xdl64).

To avoid further crashes remove the plugin from your installation of Cinema 4D or try to install the latest version of this plugin.

You should inform and describe this problem to the developer of the plugin to assure he can reconstruct the issue and fix the problem.
Maxon itself cannot install, test or support 3rd party plugins.

Please be aware, that every installed plugin could cause crashes every time, as they are loaded at startup of the program.
It does not matter if the plugin is used during your work or not.

I hope this information helps.

Message 5 of 10
JHåland

Hi! Seems like there's a problem with OIDN. But it's really strange because sometimes it will render over 500 frames all fine, but suddenly it copes and stop working. Switched to OptiX and it's now rendering the scene again.

So with OIDN it maybe renders two or tree frames and then it just hangs on and never finish the frame.

Message 6 of 10
peter_horvath

@JHåland wrote:

Hi! Seems like there's a problem with OIDN. But it's really strange because sometimes it will render over 500 frames all fine, but suddenly it copes and stop working. Switched to OptiX and it's now rendering the scene again.

So with OIDN it maybe renders two or tree frames and then it just hangs on and never finish the frame.

Is this a separate problem on top of the volume issue or was this the cause of the crash/hang in the first place?

If you have a minidump.dmp file in the bugreport folder, dated at the time of the crash, could you please send me as well? It might help figuring out where the crash happens in the code.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 7 of 10
JHåland

I try to see if I can get a minidump on that

Message 8 of 10
JHåland

Hmm. Of course after all these crashing I've had, now it's working as expected with OIDN. Could be faulty nvidia drivers. Sorry for bothering you guys with this. Will try to update everything next time some strange stuff occurs.
Message 9 of 10
peter_horvath

@JHåland wrote:
Hmm. Of course after all these crashing I've had, now it's working as expected with OIDN. Could be faulty nvidia drivers. Sorry for bothering you guys with this. Will try to update everything next time some strange stuff occurs.

No worries, please let us know if it happens again and we'll continue investigating. Btw, can't be the NVIDIA drivers if it's related to OIDN, because it's a CPU-based denoiser. But outdated NVIDIA drivers can do weird things sometimes for sure.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 10 of 10
JHåland

Yes, I know. But suddenly I had it crashing just doing some joint rigging a character, it was so many strange things. Have a good day!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report