Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4DTOA 4.6.6.2(Arnold 7.2.4.1) Alpha Channel with the Toon Shader?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sirima3565
442 Views, 6 Replies

C4DTOA 4.6.6.2(Arnold 7.2.4.1) Alpha Channel with the Toon Shader?

Hello gentlemen, i hope all of you are doing well.

Ive been facing some should-be-easy issues with the Arnold toon shader, especially when it comes to Alpha channel.
As you can see, that is the alpha texture(image 1) Im trying to lay on a plane geometry(image 2) so i can get ONLY the white parts of the texture to be the geometry plane, meaning, i want every part of the geometry plane that is not affected by the white color of the texture to disappear.
The setup i used yield no results at all.

If anyone is knowledgeable enough, please spare me the trouble and provide some help. Thank you 

Labels (5)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sirima3565
in reply to: sirima3565

Someone please help.
I'm very and immensely sorry for the tag guys, @lee_griggs @peter_horvath @ssjenforcer191191191 

Message 3 of 7
sirima3565

sirima3565_0-1701632898520.png

basically i want something like this in the toon shader

Message 4 of 7

I'm not at my pc, but are you using a color correct node and setting 'Alpha is luminance'?

Message 5 of 7
peter_horvath

You should be able to achieve something like this by mixing a toon and a standard surface with cutout opacity. See the attached scene. Not sure if there are any unwanted side effects to this though.

peter_horvath_0-1701682808378.png

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 6 of 7
sirima3565
in reply to: peter_horvath

this did in fact work and gave me the effect i wanted. As for the side effects, i did notice some toon edge at the end of the geometry i applied the texture too, i don't know if that's because of little parts of the texture being stuck there, or it's because of this method's limitations. All in all, this is a solid way to achieve something like this. However, a kind request i have is to please please please please please please please include a cutout opacity kind of thing in the toon shader please. We all saw how powerful it is, so give it some love in the upcoming releases, make it powerful, and take inspiration from the PSOFT Pencil+ plugin for maya, the potential for toon shading is endless, it could be the new way to creating anime. Please give it a lot of love in the upcoming releases.
And all love goes to you peter for solving this issue i had, thanks buddy.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 183142.png

(ill wait to mark your reply as "accept solution" because i want to hear the other guys suggestions. Thank you)

Message 7 of 7

i do appreciate you taking time to help, however, im not quite understanding what you mean there. It would be better if you replied in a setup that is similar to my post and peter's post. Something that includes photos, and preferably a scene file. Thank you buddy, and dont feel like im belittling your help here, not at all.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators