Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold Scatter - Negative push apart?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jacksonboss
190 Views, 4 Replies

Arnold Scatter - Negative push apart?

Hello,

I’m working on a project that involves creating some peach rings, and I'm having issues with the scatter of the sugar. I used Arnold Scatter for this.

The problem is that the sugar ends up outside the mesh, a few millimeters above it, making it look like it’s floating. I believe this issue is due to the displacement, as the Arnold Scatter is applied to the torus (which is editable), and I have a displacement map with procedural noises that is causing the mesh to sink a bit.

One solution I thought might work was to use a push apart with negative values, but this doesn't seem possible, right?

I’ve also tried using some fields within Cinema 4D itself but haven’t found a solution.

Thank you in advance

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jacksonboss
in reply to: jacksonboss

Here are some screenshots of the Peach Rings

Message 3 of 5
peter_horvath

Do you displace in Arnold, in the Arnold shading graph? Scattering currently runs in the plugin, before rendering, on the Cinema 4D object. That means it does not take into account render-time displacement. But if you displace the object in the scene with Cinema 4D deformers and shaders, that should work.

Another option could be to bake the Arnold displacement (Arnold > Utilities > Bake Geometry...), import it back and use it as the Arnold Scatter surface. But obviously, it's not that flexible.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 4 of 5
jacksonboss
in reply to: peter_horvath

Hello Peter, thank you for the quick response.

Unfortunately, none of these options work for me. I use the displacement system from Arnold shaders, sometimes mixing in some noises with the layer system as well.

It would be impractical to apply this displacement directly to the mesh since the Arnold Tag is already subdivided to 4 levels, and I always try to keep the mesh as light as possible, leaving most of the heavy lifting to Arnold.

I think in this case, the best solution would be if there was a force to pull these grains a few millimeters towards the center

Message 5 of 5
peter_horvath

My only other idea would be using Effectors and Fields or vertex map, but you said you've tried that.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report