Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are true decals not an option?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ssjenforcer191191191
161 Views, 3 Replies

Are true decals not an option?

I am trying to apply an image as a decal onto another material.

Is this not possible?
I either get a see through 'alpha' portion of my image, or I have to have the alpha a certain texture which doesn't match the original material I am going overtop of.

Why is there not a way to have the 'alpha' just reveal the texture underneath?

EDIT:
I just realized the Arnold Material (last node) has something called Alpha (stacking), and connecting my alpha to that works.

I thought that the geometry cutout was how alpha worked in Arnold.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Arnold supports the native material stacking workflow via the Alpha channel, that means you add multiple materials to the object and the alpha controls how the given material is mixed over the others.

You can also use a single material with a layer_shader to mix multiple surface shaders together.

// Peter Horvath
// C4DtoA developer
Message 3 of 4

Nevermind.  I didn't realize what alpha "stacking" meant before writing this post.  I figured it out.  I thought alpha would make an object disappear if it was the only material on the object.

Message 4 of 4

A little trick that not everyone might be aware of - if you always put your decals in image files with a 1:1 ratio you don't have to worry about stretching or crimping your decals once they are in place. They will be proportionally correct every time. So even if you have a very horizontal decal (e.g. a logo), just throw it in a 1:1 ratio image file with enough resolution and it's good to go. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report