Community
Arnold for 3ds Max
Rendering with Arnold in 3ds Max using the MaxtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flushing texture cache no longer works when updating textures from Substance Painter

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
10DSpace
787 Views, 12 Replies

Flushing texture cache no longer works when updating textures from Substance Painter

Like the title says, until the latest version of Max to Arnold (I am using 5.6.3.1 with Max 2022), I was able to update the textures in an Arnold render after re-exporting PBR texture maps from Substance Painter for objects in my scene.  Now when I re-export texture maps from SP they are updated in the Max viewport but not in the Arnold render, even if I flush the cache ( "All" or "Textures").  I tried unchecking "Auto-convert textures to TX" and then unchecking "Use Existing TX Textures" but that creates a bizarre result in the Arnold render.; portions of the texture are rendered correctly and other blocks of the texture completely wrong. 

If I exit out of Max and then restart Max the textures will be updated properly in the Arnold render, but that is not an acceptable workflow as I am constantly tweaking textures in Substance Painter.   Do I have to delete all the .tx files in the directory and uncheck auto generate .tx when working in an iterative process with Substance painter?  I am hoping there is a better solution.  Any help would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
RGhost77
in reply to: 10DSpace

You right, sadly its broken in last two releases of MAXtoA.
I'm already submitted bug report in Max beta report ... DEFECT-4250

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 3 of 13
10DSpace
in reply to: RGhost77

@RGhost77 

Thanks for confirming the bug.  Hope it gets fixed soon.

Message 4 of 13
thiago.ize

What happens if you stop the Arnold Render View, Flush Cache, and then Update Full Scene?

Message 5 of 13
10DSpace
in reply to: thiago.ize

@thiago.ize 

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was the  first thing I tried: quitting/stopping the render view, flushing the cache and then updating the scene (i.e., re-exporting the the textures from substance painter).   I also tried flushing the cache and then reloading the textures via material editor re-load button.  As I said in the original post, the viewport does update correctly with each re-export of Substance Painter textures.  It is the Arnold render that does not update despite flushing the caches before or after updating the scene.   I also tried  flushing the caches and then re-assigning a different Material to the object ) or no material (via $.material = undefined in max listener) and in this case the Arnold render will match the viewport new material (or no material).  But if I then flush cache and re-assign the material with textures exported from Substance painter the textures are not the updated textures from SP but the first ones that were explored.  I have to quit max and restart to get the correct currently exported textures from SP to render with Arnold 5.6.3.1

The thing is, flushing the caches did work with Max to Arnold version 5.6.2.0 and earlier versions.  Something has changed with the latest versions of Arnold and this is apparently a known bug that has been reported as mentioned by @RGhost77

Message 6 of 13
RGhost77

Partial solution, if SME stayed opened and you use BitmapLookup or UberBitmap it updates bitmaps. But it doesn't work with Image map node.

btw, MAXtoA 5.6.5 released and this bug still not fixed 🤐

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 7 of 13
10DSpace

Yes, very disappointing that this is still not fixed with MAXtoA  5.6.5.0.   Continues to be a major impediment to my workflow.   

Message 8 of 13
RGhost77

MaxToA 5.6.5.1 still don't fixed ... seriously?! Please fix it!

I submitted again this bug through 3ds Max beta - DEFECT-4294

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 9 of 13
RGhost77

MaxToA 5.6.6 still don't fixed.... come on! We need that feature worked!

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 10 of 13
10DSpace

@thiago.ize 

Has Autodesk been able to reproduce the issue discussed in this thread and is there a plan to fix it?   It is a big problem trying to work with Substance Painter exported maps in an iterative way with Arnold and this has not been addressed in multiple updates of Arnold.    It seems that Arnold is holding onto the first texture map information it has in a given session of Max and that texture map information cannot be updated or flushed.   There has got to be a solution other than closing down Max and restarting every time you want to tweak a material in Substance painter and re-export updated texture maps.

Message 11 of 13
RGhost77

5.7.1.0 - Arnold for 3ds Max

Flush still doesn't works. 😬

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 12 of 13
teamSP26J

Hi, I was trying to rebuild the .tx files using the flush caches and I was unable to but trying to reproduce this many times I realized that flush caches works but you have to start the IPR render. The rendering session has to be active for it to take effect. So start IPR, flush caches, stop IPR and after new start it will rebuild tx files and you will se updated textures.

For the devs I have a question if flushing the caches is expexted to only work with running rendering sesion. I would expect it as a user to work even without it. 

Message 13 of 13
RGhost77
in reply to: teamSP26J

@teamSP26J wrote:

So start IPR, flush caches, stop IPR and after new start it will rebuild tx files and you will se updated textures.

Working. Nice. 😀
Thank you for the tip! (It works even .tx not used)

Edit: I wrote simple script to automate this trick. It's ugly solution but works.

(
setWaitCursor()  
arv = MAXToAOps.ArnoldRenderView()

iprOn = arv.GetOption "Run IPR"

arv.SetOption "Run IPR" "1"
	actionMan.executeAction 695602995 "2"
	arv.SetOption "Run IPR" "0"

setArrowCursor()
)

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report