Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeline

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
MichaelT_123
503 Views, 2 Replies

Timeline

Hi Team F360

Is there any way to delete/remove from the timeline inactive features.

By inactive I mean those, which don't respond to any mouse efforts to squeeze from them even small pull-down menu  with "deleteMe" on it?

When I am on the line, would it be possible to create automatic, but manually triggered audit of Timeline.

Ideas:

- convert warnings to Direct Modelling if possible

- combine multiple movements of the same object in the row into single movement

- combine ground/unground ^ as above 

- delete completely design threads which don't contributed to final outcome at the end of the Timeline

- perhaps some others cleansing efforts

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekinsb
in reply to: MichaelT_123

The API does provide access to the timeline and to the action (feature, construction geometry, sketch, etc.) that resulted in that timeline entry being created.  Each entry in the timeline is represented by a TimelineObject and it supports a healthState property that returns some information about the current state of that object.  For example, you can find out if a feature has failed.  By using this and the ability to access the feature associated with the timeline object you can get additional information that _might_ enable you to infer some of the information you listed.  In theory it sounds like a good idea to remove unneeded features from the timeline but in practice it's not so simple.  Things might appear not to contribute to the end result but in fact do play a part in the recompute.

For example you specified that an occurrence might be grounded and then later ungrounded so the net effect is that it's ungrounded.  That's true when you're looking at the end state of the model, but if you roll back the timeline to a point in between those two nodes it will be grounded and there could be some action in that section of the timeline that depends on it being grounded.  Deleting something that seems to have no effect could cause other unwanted side effects.

I suspect there are cases where you can have operations that can be safely deleted but it's not obvious to me what those would be and how you would detect them.  If you have some known cases you can play with the API to see if you can get enough information to identify them.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 3
MichaelT_123
in reply to: ekinsb

Mr Ekins, ...
thank you for the pragmatic answer. based on your suggestion I could not resist temptation ...

Simple iteration script:
----------
for tObj in des.timeline:
tObjName = tObj.name # <===== where runtime error is generated
---------
works like a charm in most cases but not this one http://a360.co/2nR4oVP

The error I am getting is:
------------------------------
tObjName =tObj.name
...fusion.py, line 27508, in _get_name
RuntimeError:2:InternalValidationError:renameTarget
-----------------------------

It happens after timeline index 13 (nomen omen ?)

Any suggestions ???

Best Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report