Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script to duplicate Move tool

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nnamfoh
456 Views, 4 Replies

Script to duplicate Move tool

I want a user to be able to move a specific component as they would move any more but need to track that movement in order to track associated data for calculations in an Add-In

Is there:

a) a way to track if a specific component was moved

b) a way to access the exact move command that is included in the standard system and tweak it to change the associated information

MoveTool.PNG

c) an example of how that command was created so that I can recreate it exacly, so that I can edit its underlying functions?

My specific goal is to track an origin between two related components and move that origin and associated component if the other is moved.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
marshaltu
in reply to: nnamfoh

Hello,

Unfortunately it seems that APIs what we have had cannot meet your requirement. We can invoke standard "Move" command by API and but we cannot do too many customization on it.

I am not sure if you tried "Joint" functionality in Fusion 360. For example: when we place two components into "Rigid Group", one component is dragged by Mouse and another one would be moved together.

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
nnamfoh
in reply to: marshaltu

Joint unfortunatly won't work, I cannot garuntee that the two components will be touching, which joint seems to cause. Is there an example script available that shows how the move gui was created? Examples like how to use the mouse drag activities to create a vector would be be great. While I can't garuntee a user won't accidently use the regular move function, creating my own command from scratch can give some garuntees from within my add in.

Message 4 of 5
marshaltu

Hello,

There were quite some samples in "Scripts and Add-in" dialog to demo how to create a customized UI and commands. Unfortunately you may have to write "Move" command by themselves as there was no existing one for you to use directly.

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
CircuitGuy

@nnamfoh wrote:

Joint unfortunatly won't work, I cannot garuntee that the two components will be touching, which joint seems to cause. 

I don't think this is true.  You can make an as-built joint and it keeps relative positions.  AFAIK contact has nothing to do with Fusion joints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report