Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotary joint without features

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
designingberlin
262 Views, 3 Replies

rotary joint without features

Hi,

I've generated several components, one in each file. Every component has at least one 3DconstructionPoint on a ConstructionAxis for the later joint definition.

The joints for the assembly shall be rotary joints (aligning one axis of each component coaxially with the corresponding axis of another component) and the 2 point on those axis shall conincide.

In Inventor this task is very straightforward (mate both axis and both points). I'm struggling to get the alignment done in the UI as well as in the API.

I did extrude a cylinder along the axis and centered at the point in each part and the alignment work perfetcly in the UI using those bodys. But since the components are more conceptual for now, I don't want any bodys to be involved in the joint definitions. Is there a good, deep tutorial for generating joints, jointgeometries, jointorigins and how they interact. It's a very complex field in 3D modeling and the documentation on it seems to be unsufficient. 

Big Thanks,

Stefan

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ekinsb
in reply to: designingberlin

Joints in Fusion are somewhat limiting, especially with what you can select as geometry input.  It seems you can't use a construction axis and it requires real geometry.  Let me double-check with the team responsible for joints to see if there's some other way to do this that I'm not aware of.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 4
designingberlin
in reply to: ekinsb

I agree, the joint concept is unusual - I assume it's for good reasons.

But - there is no need for a geometry feature as joint reference. A sketch line does work as a joint reference. No need for 'fake geometries' (that are only used for joint definitions).

I use lines for rotary joint definitions and align them on their midpoints.

Thanks,

Stefan

Message 4 of 4
ekinsb
in reply to: designingberlin

That's a good suggestion about using sketch geometry, but it seems construction geometry should also be supported.  Hopefully in the future.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report