Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve mesh data from API

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
646 Views, 3 Replies

Retrieve mesh data from API

Hi,

In my current project I am creating a plugin for Fusion 360 and I need the mesh representation of all the existing objects one by one. I have found that I can calculate the meshes with  TriangleMeshCalculator, but ( with default values ) the result seems to be incorrect.

Could anyone point me to any tutorial or documentation on how mesh information retrieval should be done properly? 

(I am using C++, but you can give me example with any language!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ekinsb
in reply to: Anonymous

Creating new meshes using the TriangleMeshCalculator should work but if you're seeing problems I would be interested in seeing a specific test case to verify if there is a problem.

When needing a mesh of an existing body, I typically use the displayMeshes property of the MeshManager object and then use the bestMesh property of the returned TriangleMeshList object.  The primary reason for this is that it will be much faster because it's return an existing mesh rather than creating a new one.  In either case though, you'll end up with a TriangleMesh object that contains all of the mesh information.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: ekinsb

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your answer. I have managed to get accurate mesh information from the BestMesh method, but the received mesh is missing texture coordinates. 

In my test project I have a cylinder that has both physical material and appearance texture assigned.

Is it normal that the texture coordinates are empty in case of BestMesh?

Thank you for your response in advance!

Message 4 of 4
ekinsb
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately, we're not yet supporting the export of texture information.  This is planned for the future but there isn't a specific date when it might be available.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report