Observer
2 Posts

Physical Interface - Midi/OSC

233 Views, 2 Replies
4 weeks ago

Hi there!
2 days ago I had an idea: controlling variables/parameters via a midi or OSC interface.
That could be very useful in order to explore different shapes in a fast and intuitive way.
Below, a video demonstration.

I checked online but couldn't find anything. As you can see in the video, there's just a software, Rhino (natively not-parametric), that via Grasshopper and another plugin can control shapes via midi controls.

Now, the developing part:
I'm learning javascript as my first programming language and I am very interested in adding a controller in my design workflow. I'd like to connect physical devices like nanoKONTROL or apps like TouchOSC to Fusion.
Do you think it is possible, via a script or add-in to do something like that? If so, are you interested in helping? Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks for reading!
Have a nice day!

Autodesk Support
1250 Posts
352 Kudos
367 Solutions

Re: Physical Interface - Midi/OSC

4 weeks ago in reply to: edoardo.sattin

That's an interesting project but I think you may be better off using Python instead of JavaScript.  Python is a better choice when programming Fusion anyway and after doing a brief search on the web I'm not sure there is a JavaScirpt integration to the devices you listed.  I did see some experiments but they were for Node and the JavaScript in Fusion is running in a browser, not Node.  I did find a Python library for TouchOSC. I didn't dig deep enough to see which version of Python but it's recent enough that hopefully it's for Python 3.

https://www.acmesystems.it/touchosc

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Highlighted
Observer
2 Posts

Re: Physical Interface - Midi/OSC

Thursday in reply to: ekinsb

Thank you very much for your suggestions and sorry for the late answer!

As soon as I learn a bit of Python I'll start the project. Again, suggestions are well accepted!

See you soon!