Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimal thickness of slices in Slicer for Fusion 360

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
polkop
7968 Views, 20 Replies

Minimal thickness of slices in Slicer for Fusion 360

Hello everyone,

I'm quite a long time a very happy autodesk user but it's my first post on the forum. Recently, a Slicer plugin / standalone for Fusion 360 was released. When checking out the plugin today, I was very happy to see finally something like this. I'm playing quite a lot with lasercutters, cnc mills etc. so I've been looking for this for a plugin like this for a while.

While testing the limits of the program, I discovered something weird. When scaling down the thickness of the sheet (I'd like to use 1,2mm cardboard), The program suddenly stopped slicing the model (it says: "Number of sheet generated is 0. Please change your manufacturing settings to fit model slices in stock dimensions"). I worked out the example of the humanhead.3dmk so you could try it yourself. When I duplicate the A4 size and downsize the thickness, it works just fine but I could not get any further than 0.025". So I hear you thinking, not a problem (it's 1mm) but I want to slice another model that's a lot higher and than this becomes already a problem when using much larger thicknesses.

Could it possibly be that there is some kind of upper limit of the number of parts / pages that the software could slice? Or is there any way of solving this problem because the resolution for my big model is really bad?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Hendrik

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
shortybob
in reply to: polkop

Hi,

I'm having the same issue, simple sphere with text through the middle.

It will slilce fine one way but in any otherway it will throw up "number of sheets generated is 0"

It has nothing to do with the size, thickness or number per sheet, it's a bug as I can reduce the complexity right down to silly parts and it'll still come up with this error.

Just have to wait until more people are affected I guess...

Rob

Message 3 of 21
gmelantoni
in reply to: shortybob

Hi all,

That was a bug that appeared when we tried to apply nesting. We rolled back nesting and did not get that bug reported again. We´ll check it out-

Thanks for reporting.

Guillermo Melantoni
Senior Product Line Manager
“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 4 of 21
satwik123d
in reply to: gmelantoni

Hi!

Can we access API of Slicer and use it to made scripts and Add-ins on top of Slicer.

Regards,

Satwik Priyadarshi

Message 5 of 21
ekinsb
in reply to: satwik123d

Sorry but the Slicer does not have an API.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 6 of 21
ardaeren

Hello everyone,

I am having exactly the same error "Number of sheet generated is 0. Please change your manufacturing settings to fit model slices in stock dimensions"

Message 7 of 21
wkleinQYJ2W

Hi

was this bug ever fixed? I just reinstalled the stand alone software and was still met with this obstacle  thickness limitation. It is weird because the system seems to have assemble steps when my thickness is .001in ust not availble to be seen in sheets or as a pdf

Best,

Willard

Message 8 of 21

Nope, still waiting for a reply to this.

Rob

Message 9 of 21
gmelantoni
in reply to: holly.french16

Slices that display 0 sheets has not been fixed. One thing to try as a workaround is to rotate the slicing direction along the XY plane (so you would get the same slices anyways), which sometimes tends to fix the problem. 

Guillermo Melantoni
Senior Product Line Manager
“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 10 of 21
ardaeren

Stacked slices option seems to be problematic. The problem occurs when the model height is higher 8 centimeters and the material thickness lower than 4.5 mm. Playing around with the sectioning direction does not help for me.

Thanks
Arda

Message 11 of 21
ardaeren

I think I have found the solution for this problem.  I used Autodesk Meshmixer to turn the stl mesh object in to a watertight solid body. It looks like the slicer properly functions this way.

Thanks everyone. 
Arda 

Message 12 of 21
Ageleia

Thank you for this workaround solution. I wasn't able to generate the layout for a 93 mm height model using 5 mm thick material. I rotated both slicing planes 180° and voilà ! 🙂 

Message 13 of 21
Ageleia

Thank you for this workaround solution. I wasn't able to generate the layout for a 93 mm height model using 5 mm thick material. I rotated both slicing planes 180° and voilà ! 🙂 

Message 14 of 21
infoDWFUU

I have the same problem.

Slicer seems to be an unfinished program.

I will look for alternatives.

Regards.

Joel

Message 15 of 21
shortybob
in reply to: infoDWFUU

I don't understand it.

Why is this still an issue as I'd of thought it could of been fixed after all this time, I love this program though.

It's an indication of how Autodesk work I think, resources are used to develop and release a program but there's none left to fix any issues if discovered, a real real shame.

Rob

Message 16 of 21
peterchrien

Hi,

what helped me is to create a material, in my case it was A4 - 1,25mm thick cardboard I bought from Hobbycraft. I want to print it on my A4 printer and then glue sheets on cardboard and cut out with scalpel. After creating the material, save and close the file. Open it again, in my case it was from Fusion 360, and use the material you have just created. I had an issue with rotation of slices on the sheets so I changed size of A4 From 297 to 210 and 210 to 297 (portrait to landscape). And now I have no error with 0 sheets created. However, when I changed notch angle to 0, I am getting error message again.

Message 17 of 21
sagarrabanana

I found another way, i needed to make 1,5mm slices, but it showed me the "0 sheet" problem. But it let me to do this work with 4,5mm slices, so I just scaled the model to make it 3 times biger, then I create the sheets and scale them back with an AutoCAD like software.

Message 18 of 21

Honestly just rotating 1 degree sliced through my model where as going 180 was still not working like the O position

Message 19 of 21
brucehugo

Hi there... Great program but I am getting the same problem with the number of sheets showing up as 0 even though the parts are numbered.   

Message 20 of 21
ericM3F4Y

This may be an issue of how your computer rounds floats. I noticed the default sheet sizes were 0.1772" thick which is almost B flute thickness but not quite and using those sheets I did not get this error. I am planning on using 1/4" mdf for my project so I entered .25" as my thickness and got this "0 sheets" error. I then tried 0.2658 which is 0.1772 * 1.5 which successfully produced the sheets. The clue I got it actually looking at the default page sizes I saw values like 11.000004" which is the float approximation on 11 which is dependent on it being a double or not. I may not be right but I am going to go with compressing my object in the z axis by 94% in CAD and then slice in here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report