Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion API reports 2 loops for this top face - is this a bug?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ross.korsky
196 Views, 1 Reply

Fusion API reports 2 loops for this top face - is this a bug?

The top face of this shape reports only 2 loops, the perimeter and the, apparently, conjoined squares. I'd think this should be three loops even though the two squares share a point. The issue this is causing me is that I cannot rely upon a 1 to 1 relationship between loops and 

sketch.findConnectedCurves (which is already overly challenging as it is - i think sketch.project is also broken, I've never seen its result ObjectCollection contain anything - I've mostly been projecting edges from loops).

Sr3Bbtv

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ekinsb
in reply to: ross.korsky

It's not a bug but just a difference in how topology is handled between sketches and solids.  The solid created is actually one or the rare cases where you'll see a non-manifold solid in Fusion.  It's not something that would exist in the real world.  The two rectangular pockets share the same edge.  The two pockets are connected but at the same time they are distinct.  In real life they're either going to be separate, even by a very small piece of material, or they'll be connected where there's actually an small opening between the two pocket area.  A sketch treats this as two profiles while a solid treats it as a single loop.  You could examine the loop to see as you traverse around it if you encounter the same vertex twice.  This would indicate one of these special cases.

Regarding the problem with Sketch.project, I tried a couple of simple cases and I'm getting back a collection with the projected curves.  Can you post an example that demonstrates the problem you're seeing?

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report