Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating custom mesh

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
vovakk
343 Views, 2 Replies

Creating custom mesh

Is there a way to create a custom mesh (programmatically generated points and faces)?

I'm trying to create an enveloping worm gear and after struggling with the UI for a while I decided it might be easier to make a mesh with code. Is there a way to make a custom mesh using the api?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BradAndersonJr
in reply to: vovakk

Hey!

I'm fairly positive you can.  There are a couple scripts built-in to Fusion 360 already that demonstrate creating mechanical parts via using the API.  I've recently been attempting doing something similar and the Programming Interface section has been helpful.  I wish I could be more help!

- Brad

Brad Anderson Jr
Fusion 360 Hobbyist
Fusion 360 Luthiers Facebook Group
Message 3 of 3
ekinsb
in reply to: vovakk

It depends on what your definition of "mesh" is.  If it's a triangle or polygon mesh, then it will be possible.  If it's a T-Spline model then it's not possible because the API doesn't currently expose T-Spline capabilities.  For a triangle or polygon mesh, the approach will be to create the mesh you want as either an STL or OBJ file and then use that to create a new mesh body.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report