Highlighted
Explorer
3 Posts

CAM API - Create Setups?

40 Views, 3 Replies
Friday

In a video or forum comment Brian Eakins explained that scripting is not seen as a way to create a complete model, but rather a way to support creation of a model with additional UI functionality.  Knowing that, I proceed to create the basic outline of my model in Python using scripting.   My project has a number of simple flat panels with various openings. I was surprised how far I got in the CAD portion of my project using just a few API calls. 

Here's what I found most useful in the CAD space:

From a few simple python dictionaries and arrays, I was able to create 20 separate panels as individual components.  I was able to populate each panel with a series of openings. 

When I came to the CAM side, I found information from early 2016, that indicated that the CAM API does not contain API methods to create Cam setup objects. 

It seems kind of basic that an API for an object would expose a method to create one.  Am I missing something?

Autodesk Support
1259 Posts
353 Kudos
369 Solutions

Re: CAM API - Create Setups?

Friday in reply to: pat.callahan1

I don't remember everything I said in the past but it should be possible to build most parts entirely by using the API.  Most of the modeling features are supported by the API and it's great that you've had the success you've had.

However, as you've also found, the capabilities exposed through the CAM API are currently very limited.  Mostly what the current CAM API lets you do is update and export what's already been manually created.  I agree that it would be very useful to be able to automate creating tool paths.  It's a matter of priorities for the CAM team.  I don't know when more functionality will be exposed.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Explorer
3 Posts

Friday in reply to: ekinsb

How do we lobby for better scripting support?

Autodesk Support
1259 Posts
353 Kudos
369 Solutions

Friday in reply to: pat.callahan1

Post your request in the Idea Station (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/idb-p/125).  You'll certainly get my vote.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog