Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The subd cannot be trimed when mirrored it

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
zlu30
233 Views, 10 Replies

The subd cannot be trimed when mirrored it

I cannot trim the subd surface after I mirror and merge it , although I have filpped the normal and uniform the uv. However I can trim it before I mirror it, or I can trim the mirrored subd surface when I turn off the option " subdiv select" .

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
c3systems
in reply to: zlu30

Would it be possible to show the expanded view of the merged subd object in the object lister?

Please export the merged subd as as a TSS file and import it back. Are you able to trim the new imported subd?

Message 3 of 11
zlu30
in reply to: c3systems

Yes, It can work after I re-import the data. What's the reason? I didn't find any different between the two data. 

Message 4 of 11
c3systems

Glad that it worked.

Can you please post a picture of the expanded view of the original subd which was mirrored and merged, in the object lister...want to confirm whether the bug was already identified. @Michael-GG I think this might be related to ALS-27495

Message 5 of 11
Michael-GG

If that's the case, then yes, one should be able to see it in the Object Lister. Otherwise, @zlu30 would you be willing to share the data, so we (Autodesk development) could have a closer look?

Michael G.-G.
Manager Quality Assurance Automotive
Message 6 of 11
zlu30

Yes. I upload pictures of the object list. And I find a new issue. When I export the sub-D and import it, it had happened some changes of the surface.  before mirrorbefore mirrorafter mirrorafter mirrorafter importafter importgreen line is the original data. There is happening some changes of the subd.green line is the original data. There is happening some changes of the subd.

Message 7 of 11
zlu30
in reply to: Michael-GG

Thank you but it is so sorry. I cannot share the data on the web because I cannot share any data outside by company-network. 

I think you can try to make any kinds of sub-D in Alias 2024 and do the mirroring and trimming work process. Because I always meet this issue when I make sub-D which need be mirror and trim.  

Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
c3systems

I think that the curves of surface on the mirrored subd do not form a closed loop and there might be multiple unused CoS. By exporting amnd importing all the trims and CoSs are lost. So when triming again you are working on a clean subd, and hence it trims properly.

I am not able to reproduce the error though. Without a sample file it might be difficult to narrow down the problem. Would it possible to create a sample file that shows the same problem?

Are you using the Merge Subd and Keep normal options in the Mirror command? or are you mirroring and then merging, setting the normals etc. manually?

The problem of slight differences in the imported subd .. Are you using variable crease fade out?

Message 9 of 11
Michael-GG

@zlu30 I'm also happy to test this, but would need some more information:
1. Which exact Alias version are you using?
2. Does your subd already have Curve on Surfaces, or are you trimming against other geometry?

3. Does your subd already have active trims before your mirror operation?

Thanks,

GG

Michael G.-G.
Manager Quality Assurance Automotive
Message 10 of 11
zlu30

before mirrored it the COS was closed. That will happen after mirrored the data. Before mirroring, it can be trimmed.  Whether I select the normal options, the Cos will always be disconnected in the middle after mirroring. 

I can't share any data by the company network. Sorry.

Message 11 of 11
zlu30
in reply to: Michael-GG

Thanks.

1: I am now using Alias AutoStudio 2024.1.

2: Yes, it already has COS.  You can see my setting.

3: Yes, it has already been trimmed before mirroring.

I have tried making COS and trimming after mirroring, which means that the Sub-D is a clean data before mirrored(never project any curves on the surface). That is normal.

However, it can't be trimmed when I mirrored a Sub-D with COS, whether I clean the COS after mirroring it.

qqqqq.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators