Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SpeedForm 2016 Issues

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gianbupa
848 Views, 5 Replies

SpeedForm 2016 Issues

Hello,

Finally I've been able to get some time to study Speedform properly.

And I'm having some serious issues so far.

- Cannot import files into the sculpt workspace. It keeps asking me to switch off the Design History, but I can't. (even if I switched off from properties)

I can import files in the Detailing workspace, but in that way I cannot use the surfaces I import from Alias to use as snapping reference.

I've read that it could work if i don't use the timeline, but how?

- Snap curves to the grid. How do i do that?

- copy opened surfaces from one document to another. (let's say I open my alias model, to remodel in speedform some areas, but i cannot copy the alias model into another document)

- vertex..... what the..... there is no control of them. I can change the scale, rotation..... it affects the curvature of the edge, but there is no control of how to change it....

I'll be studing a bit more later on 

Also, I've read that probably I only have the 2016 version and not the PE1. (where some of these issues have been fixed)
Since I cannot find the PE1 update, should I reinstall the 2017 version?

I'm having the educator license right now for 2016 and the idea to uninstall just a part of the suite to get another install is a bit annoying 😉

Any Ideas?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Michael-GG
in reply to: gianbupa

Hi,

latest version should be available here soon (I actually don't know why it's not currently, and only the 2016 version):

http://www.autodesk.de/products/alias-products/free-trial

Regarding importing into Sculpt, you need to switch off the timeline for the *current* document, can be done in the option popup in the bottom right hand corner.

Snapping to grid, you have a center bottom toolbar. The most right option controls your grid and snapping options.

Don't understand your verex problem, can you explain in more detail?

Best regards,

GG

Michael G.-G.
Manager Quality Assurance Automotive
Message 3 of 6
gianbupa
in reply to: Michael-GG

Sorry for late reply.

Snapping to the grid just doesn't work.
I see the grid, I enable the grid. Select cv curve in sketch. But I can navigate on the grid without see any snap. It just doesn't work.

Tried to use keys like I would do in Alias, but no luck.

About the vertex: Let's say I have a model. Select a vertex of a polygon. I can rotate it, and therefore change the tangency of the edge in that point. But I see no control. When I smooth my model just go wild and I have to correct it "by Eye" with no real options.

For example, If I do a beizer line inf Photoshop, I have "Handles" to change the direction of the edge. But in speedform I can change the direction without knowing where it goes.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
Michael-GG

Can't really tell what could cause the snapping issue for you? See the following image, if I activate grid snapping, the Curve CV creation automatically snaps to grid points when you are close enough, no additional key needed (ctrl can be used to temporarily deactivate snapping):

grid-snap.png

Also when editing the CVs of the curve, the snaps works for me:

edit-snap.png

On which Speedform version are you?

And I still don't really get your vertex problem. Do you know the basics of subd modeling? There are several ways to display your model. Create an object, e.g. a box, select it then to start Edit Form, and press 1 for displaying it in box mode, 2 for displaying it in control frame mode (is it this what you are looking for?) and 3 (default) for smooth mode. Does this help?

Michael G.-G.
Message 5 of 6
gianbupa
in reply to: Michael-GG

Sorry for the very late reply,

I am on the 2016 version, and as you can see, the menu for the grid snapping is quite different.

About the vertex problem as you can see from the pic, I selected a vertex, and started rotating it, but I don't get to know the controls point for the tangency. If I show the polygons, I can only see the modified poligons, but the leaning is strange and I cannot see how to control it.

speedformissue.jpg

Message 6 of 6
Michael-GG

Okay, you really should update your Speedform version. 🙂 the newest one is 2017 HF1, but even 2016 PE1 SP1 already has the updated grid snapping UI. And rotating a single vertext doesn't make sense, this is already "forbidden" in 2016 PE1 SP1 (no rotate manipulator in case just a single vertex is displayed). For T-Splines resp. subd's there are not tangency controls to control the shape inside of a body. T-Spline offer tangency handles at the edges of bodies. Make Uniform is a tool you can use to "relax" the internal math a bit in case you see strange tensions/torsions in your body which can't be explained by the distribution of your CV hull.

Michael G.-G.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report