Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save as/export to stp not working

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
donest
1032 Views, 7 Replies

Save as/export to stp not working

I usually save files in both an Alias wire file, and also in an iges format. When I try to "save as" an stp file, the hourglass works briefly, and I think it has saved the file, but it is not there. I even created a folder for this purpose nad navigated to it to save the file. When I use windows explorer to view the folder it says that the folder is empty. I have checked first the wire directory but not there either. I've never used step files before. I even tried exporting with same result.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
donest
in reply to: donest

Sorry, I should have said I'm using Alias Surface 2019

Message 3 of 8
rauscht

Hi,

sorry to hear that you are facing problem while saving your data to STEP file format.

Being remote to your computer environment makes it pretty hard to tell, what is going wrong at your end. To narrow down possible reason for the behavior you are seeing, allow me to ask a few questions.

1. For how long have you been waiting before checking the output folder if the step file is there?
  2. Is the STEP file not there at all, or is it that the file is there but shows zero size?
  3. Does it happen for any model, or is the behavior specific to a certain data file?
  4. Are you allowed to share the trouble-some wire file (in case your problem is bound to a specific file)?
  5. I assume the STEP export is working for rather small wire file (like only a cube contained). Is that correct?
  6. How about other target file formats (like IGES, NX etc.) for the same source wire file? Are these working  as expected?
  7. Have you requested a log file for the STEP export and checked the resulting log file for some issues mentioned there?

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas Rausch

Software Development Manager
Message 4 of 8
donest
in reply to: rauscht

Thanks for your reply. When I clicked
"save" the hourglass appeared briefly and a scroll bar that turned blue
also appeared. When those two icons disappeared, I would check the folder
that I had tried to save them in and the folder would display "folder
empty". I tried using the 2020 version of Alias and it worked! I should
have notified the forum readers to that. Sorry.
Message 5 of 8
rauscht

Glad to hear it is working for you now!

Cheers

Thomas

Thomas Rausch

Message 6 of 8

Hello, I am having a similar problem. The version I am using is the 2023 one and when I export my model as an step file it appears with zero size. Anything I could do to make it work?

Message 7 of 8
rauscht

Hi,

sorry to hear that you are facing problems with the STEP export.

In order to drill down the problem, may I ask you the same questions as above:

1. For how long have you been waiting before checking the output folder if the step file is there?
  2. Is the STEP file not there at all, or is it that the file is there but shows zero size?
  3. Does it happen for any model, or is the behavior specific to a certain data file?
  4. Are you allowed to share the trouble-some wire file (in case your problem is bound to a specific file)?
  5. I assume the STEP export is working for rather small wire file (like only a cube contained). Is that correct?
  6. How about other target file formats (like IGES, NX etc.) for the same source wire file? Are these working  as expected?
  7. Have you requested a log file for the STEP export and checked the resulting log file for some issues mentioned there?

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas Rausch

Message 8 of 8
replyC9TSM

If you're experiencing issues with saving or exporting to STP (Standard for the Exchange of Product model data) format, there are a few potential reasons and troubleshooting steps you can take:

1. Software Compatibility: Ensure that the software you're using supports STP export. Not all software packages support all file formats, so check the documentation or support resources for your software to confirm STP export capability.

2. File Size Limitations: Some software may have limitations on the size of the file that can be exported to STP. If your model is very large or complex, it may exceed these limitations. Try exporting a simpler model or check if there are settings to adjust file size limits. Lee County Property Appraiser

3. Permissions: Make sure you have the necessary permissions to save or export files in your software. Sometimes, restricted user permissions can prevent saving or exporting certain file types.

4. File Corruption: If the STP export feature was previously working but has suddenly stopped, it's possible that the file you're trying to export has become corrupted. Try saving/exporting a different file or restarting your software to see if the issue persists.

5. Software Updates: Check if there are any updates available for your software. Sometimes, issues with file export functionality can be resolved by installing the latest updates, as they may include bug fixes and improvements.

6. Check for Errors: Look for error messages or warnings when attempting to save/export to STP format. These messages can provide valuable information about the cause of the issue and help guide troubleshooting steps.

7. Technical Support: If you've tried the above steps and are still unable to save/export to STP format, consider reaching out to the technical support team for your software. They may be able to provide further assistance or troubleshooting guidance tailored to your specific situation.

By systematically checking these factors and troubleshooting steps, you should be able to diagnose and resolve the issue with saving/exporting to STP format in your software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report