Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet Curves disappeared in Alias Design 2016

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ThomasMamero7549
1024 Views, 9 Replies

Fillet Curves disappeared in Alias Design 2016

Hi there,

I am desperately missing my Fillet Curves Tool in Alias 2016.

Curve Edit > Create > Fillet Curves

It´s been so handy when creating i.e. layouts with keycurves...

In what´s new it says

Obsolete tools
The following tools have been removed, either because they were redundant, or no longer served any useful purpose.
Curve Edit > Create > Fillet Curves

But still it is referenced in Help under "Create a fillet curve between two existing curves"

So: what is the improved tool, that made Fillet Curves obsolete???

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Thomas

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hello Thomas,

The new Tool is called Curve Fillet. Its under Curve Edit >  Create > Curve Fillet. The Curve Fillet Tool and the Fillet Curve Tool where both available in 2015. But now within 2016, only the Curve Fillet Tool is available which replaces the old tool as well.

Here is a screenshot where  you can see the icon of the tool within the Palette:

Crvfil.jpg

I hope that is helpful.

Best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 3 of 10
mingtaipei
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

Will Alias planning to get old cure fillet tool back? the tool for making assigned radius for two curve has gone.... I can not find it in Alias 2016, Alias 2017. I can not live without this tool.....it is very strange to remove this simple tool

Message 4 of 10
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: mingtaipei

Hello @mingtaipei,

I have no information, if the old Fillet Tool will come back.

May I ask you what exactly you do not like on the new tool? FD

Awaiting your reply.

Best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 5 of 10
mingtaipei

Old fillet you only need to

1. Select the tool

2. type in radius ( your eye do not need to move away form curves you work on

3. then select target curves,

4. hit enter then done

For New fillet-

1. select the tools

2. eye need to search for location of pop up box

2. identify which type of fillet you need (every time come back to default setting after application restart)-

3. eye allocate and click on the " radius" size box

4. hit enter

5. select the target curves

6. eye allocate "build" box

7. hit box

For people who use fillets all the time( especially product designer) - get rid of old tool is just making things more complicate.

it involved in much more eye movements and clicks

I do not understand why UI designer decided to down grade the usability of everyday use tool?

Message 6 of 10
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: mingtaipei

Hello @mingtaipei 

I can see your point.

So as soon as a radius entry on the Command promtline would ask you for a radius input again,

then the new tool would exactly fit to the old workflow?

Any thoughts?

Maybe I can create an improvement request, in order to get that improved.

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 7 of 10
poupakiko

Sorry Sir, I still really not understand how I can create a fillet curves between two end points of a pair of curves.....I don t care abour the radius value I just want a fillet between the two end points...Please....

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 10
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: poupakiko

Hello @poupakiko

maybe this is helpful:

http://autode.sk/2qYVXdm

BTW: When hovering over an Icon, a Tooltip should appear. Within the Toolstip, you can also click on "more", and a little video is coming up, that shows the workflow of this tool. At least on the Curve  Fillet Tool.

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 9 of 10

Hej,

while the new Curve Fillet Tool has many more options, the old Curve Fillet tool the OP mentioned at the start of this thread was indeed much quicker to use when drawing product layouts.

Also, the new tool has a serious flaw - it does not allow to specify on which side the radius will go, when there are two solutions, like shown in this screenshot - when filleting between two curves, arcs or circles, the radius appears concave - but I want the convex solution which perfectly exists, as the lower part of the image shows.

It's essential to be able to choose which of the two possible solutions one wants - it's 8th grade school geometry ; )

2017-07-22_1701.png

Message 10 of 10
rossbau
in reply to: systembolaget

Its a cool idea. Its was put into the data base that is used to collect all ideas in order to be included into alias.

Thank you for this.

With best regards

Uwe Rossbacher.

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report