Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to exclude existing steel in Numbering

Option to exclude existing steel in Numbering

In order to have existing steel not included in the numbering, the user has to go into the advance properties and change the behaviour, prior to running the numbering.

However, the properties tab doesn't have assembly numbering properties available to be checked/unchecked until after the numbering, as they are assigned to the main part during the numbering process. This means having to take multiple steps to run numbering, go through the existing steel parts/assemblies resetting the behaviour to not be included, and rerunning the numbering again. (On a recent project I had a large amount of existing steel and in trying to be proactive I made sure to set the model roles and uncheck the numbering behaviour as a created the elements. As only the fields for single parts were available at the time, I had thought that that the numbering command would recognize to not assign assembly/main part numbering, however it did not.)

In order to simply this process, could an option to exclude existing steel be added to the numbering command, in the same way that you can already exclude bolts, anchors, concrete, timber, etc? The "exclude existing" option could be based on the model role "existing", and used to exclude the items for numbering both single parts and assemblies/main parts in 1 step.

6 Comments

I'm totally agree.
By the way, if you're using the modelrole, use the filter search and save it (all objects with the role "environment").
So if you save it, you could easily select these objects again to deactivate the checkboxes, but many steps are necessary, because you had to uncheck it for the objectgroups separately (beams, plates and so on)

TvdH1981
Advocate

Yes yes , this would save us a lot of time. Also when we use the role Existing then it shouldn't make any NC files from these parts. Now we always have to think carefully what to select.

ChristianBlei
Advisor

Hi,

if you define the mainpart before numbering you have access to its equal part detection property and you can uncheck it and exclude the main part from numbering before the process.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just put all existing steel onto its own layer and turn this layer off when I run numbering after selecting visible items first. Again when it comes to creating NC files just select what you want and run it. You can also create your own Model Roles. Somewhere along the process you will need to define the existing steel whether by model role or colour or however you wish, but assigning it to a layer works well for me.

Tony_Gibbs
Advocate

The option for excluding existing members from numbering is a must. My work around is Xrefs. Have all your existing steel as a separate model and xref it into your live model. You can still have the existing steel appear in you general Arrangement drawings by adding model objects into the drawing style manager. I also use this method when modelling from 1 level to the next. Works well with no numbering issues.

j.hamelin
Advocate

Wow I can't imagine this thread was made in 2018 and AS still not get into that simple and time saving solution to improve workflow and reduce mistakes!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report