cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut beams and plates at a line.

A command to cut an item (beam or plate) at a desired line rather than using the “polygon cut” or “shorten to UCS” command, which requires you to change the UCS to the cutting plane then cut the item.

With this command the current view’s Z axis would determine the cutting plane.  

17 Comments
ChristianBlei
Advisor

Hi!

Instead of using the current view's Z axis I would use the z axis of the current ucs as one vector of the cut plane the other is defined by the picked line. This way you can work in an isometric view. The ucs is set easily to the ucs of a beam or plate and also the ucs can be set easily to the current view. You would have more options this way. What also is an option is to define which side to cut off, either by the picked side or by selecting a side of the cut line.

Christian Blei

haedicu
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

the cut at line command (to be exact: "split at lines") exists for plates. The question for beams is indeed the z-axis orientation.

scott.flaten
Participant

It would be very helpful to have the Autocad Structural Detailing commands "Cut by line" and "Cut by polyline" incorporated into Advance Steel.

jcutlip
Observer

Please create

what do you want to do? There are a few commands to do it for beams and plates, some in the ribbon bar, and a some in the Advance tool palette. 

scott.flaten
Participant

I want to be able to draw a line and cut the beam to that line. In ASD there were two commands "Cut by Line" and "Cut by Polyline" that made the process very quick. There are multiple options in Advance Steel that I have found to accomplish this but not quite as simple. I'm still somewhat new to Advance Steel so if I am missing an easier method, please let me know. Thanks.

Austruct
Advocate

Chris,

I have made the same request earlier this year.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-ideas/cut-beams-and-plates-at-a-line/idi-p/6251259

OK I understand. Do you know the extended trim command? It's not the command you're looking for in 100% but, sometimes maybe it help by your work:
toolpalette.jpg

and here's a little screencast

scott.flaten
Participant

Thank you Sebastian!

haedicu
Alumni

merged another into this, so that we have same requests combined.

Please note: kudos were merged as well. Because a user can give a kudo only one time, the value is lower in the end than summarizing both.

best regards

Udo

ChristianBlei
Advisor

Hi,

I build a tool that is doing the cutting for beams. I started working on an identical tool for plates. Please have a look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGu36r4STY

BR,,

Christian Blei

scott.flaten
Participant
Where do I get the command CBT_CUTBEAM?

Regards,

Chris J. Gimpel

Chief Draftsman

[image: http://imageshack.com/a/img837/5585/16nq.png]

201 Wheeling Ave.
P.O. Box 757
Cambridge, OH 43725

(888) 872-7434 ext. #9358

(740) 421-9358 Direct Line
(740) 439-7349 Fax

cgimpel@usbridge.com
www.usbridge.com

*Start building your bridge today with our exclusive design tool,
BridgeScope. *

Integrity • Respect • Personal Accountability
• Teamwork • Service

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient or representative you are hereby
notified that any distribution is strictly prohibited and you are required
to delete it immediately. Thank you.
ChristianBlei
Advisor

Hello Chis Gimpel,

The tool is not available yet. If the interest in it is big enough I will distribute it as freeware via the Advance Steel Appstore. Please wait a few days....

I am customizing Advance Steel. You find more info about what I do and did on www.christianblei.de

BR,

Christian Blei

jcapenecas
Enthusiast

Hi Christian, did that command end up being put into the app store?

I had previously seen your video showcasing that function and at the time was very hopeful in that command but as the comments showed everyone was left in the dark as to where to find this command and its not until I see your explanation in this thread explaining that it was your own personnel command you were developing. With that being said can you please add a note into the notes of that video explaining is is not available as it was extremely frustrating and misleading. 

Julio_Soto
Collaborator

oof, that command seems like it should be standard with AS.  If you ever release it I will definitely get it. I'd pay money for it lol

mehmet.ertem
Enthusiast

Still no upgrades for cutting beam at line/plane? (As trim cuts it on its system axis)

mehmetertem_1-1626700442403.png

mick-CNF
Advisor

You can do this with Shorten at UCS.

Screenshot 2021-08-03 104842.pngScreenshot 2021-08-03 104944.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report