cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTACH PDF PLOTS OF SHEETS TO SMLX EXPORT

ATTACH PDF PLOTS OF SHEETS TO SMLX EXPORT

Currently the SMLX export will include exploded drawings and cnc files. The days of passing around dwg is long past. PDF plots of the drawings should be an option.

Thanks,

Mark

4 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mark,

can you describe your idea more in detail? 

markhubrich
Advisor

Advance export creates an SMLX file. One of the uses of this is for import into MRP software like Fabsuite or Fabtrol. We're using Fabsuite which has Advance steel import that uses these SMLX files among others. When AS produces this file it will include in it exploded drawings and cnc files for the selected assy's. If there are not exploded drawings or cnc it just doesn't include them. 

I usually don't have a use for exploding the drawings. We don't have a use for including a dwg with the data transfer neither. However, it has been our standard for years to deliver fabrication data including pdf shop drawings. Our outsourced subs who use SDS2 and Tekla also provide fab data this way. 

Currently Fabsuite complains that there are not any drawings during import because I don't have any exploded in the export, plus they don't want my dwg's so I include the pdf drawings all bundled into a zip file. The smlx is actually a zip file with it's own structure. You can see in there if you just change the extension from .smlx to .zip and unzip it. 

I tried hacking it and replacing the dwg in that file with pdf files and changing the header info in one of the .xml files to replace the .dwg reference to .pdf but it didn't work.  For this to work though the published pdf drawings would need to be named as only the sheet number and not the big long descriptive filename it uses now. Example  233.pdf. This is what the MRP software wants to find.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried the AS 2021 OR AS2022 SMLX import in Tekla EPM? We are also using Advance and our many of the clients fabricators are using Tekla EPM and they often demand XML which are generally generated using Tekla EPM pluggin inn Tekla structures.

We have never tried sending SMLX. do you think this SMLX is a perfect alternative of the XML zip file export of the Tekla structures?

markhubrich
Advisor

I have tried importing SMLX into Tekla Structures. It would be perfect alternative if the option to use a pdf plot of the sheets were present. It currently bundles in exploded dwg files. Pretty much useless these days as PDF drawing seems to be the standard drawing format.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report