Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wild green assembly frames

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
muleman1
774 Views, 20 Replies

Wild green assembly frames

This is a screencast of out of the box AS2023 assembly drawings. I'm sure I have done something really bad to create this and would like to avoid in the future, if someone was kind enough to tell me my error.  maybe @DumitruBerteanu  @AleckGiles 

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/a3f5849e-00cc-4d5f-8660-c4467442d528

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Ignus.E
in reply to: muleman1

Hi, I did not run the any drawings on this model, but i would start to look at why if you zoom extends the model disappears in the distance. That tells me there is something else that probably should not be there. Try to find that or copy the model into in new project and test again

Message 3 of 21
muleman1
in reply to: Ignus.E

So I ran some checks and found a random 18" system line that weighed "negative 231256 pounds"  ???? got rid of that, now "no errors" but still wierd results....

swartz_assem_3.JPGswartz_no_error.JPG

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 4 of 21
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

Did you purge? Any negative lengths leftovers in model?

It happened while ago (AS2020) and it turned out to be a ghost element with negative length, far far away in the model. Found it, deleted it, purged and it fixed the model.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 5 of 21
muleman1
in reply to: acbsdesign

swartz_purge_LI.jpg

Message 6 of 21
Ignus.E

Have you tried Audit yet? And does it behave the same if you just copy the elements into a new project with window selected elements?

Message 7 of 21
muleman1
in reply to: Ignus.E

My saga continues... fortunately I am able to work around this issue, though it is time consuming. I have another screenshot that may contain a clue, notice the X value in the screenshot below..

ScreenShot_20220419092230.png

Message 8 of 21
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

Can you make a screenshot of model browser, sort by length, any lengths with negative values?

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 9 of 21
AleckGiles

Hi,

As others have mentioned, doing a zoom extents on your model goes to galaxy level. This is indicative of issues in the file. This includes parts or elements at rediculous coordinates or with nonsensical properties. Autodesk have published this helpful FAQ on fixing the zoom extents issue. Make sure you have completed ALL these steps and the zoom extents is working correctly before doing anything else.

Then update or recreate your drawings and see if they make any better sense.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 10 of 21
muleman1
in reply to: AleckGiles

Good morning. Thanks to everyone for their help. I could not even attempt AS without the help of the forum gurus !!

I ran all the suggested tips and checks. I did receive better results, though not ideal. Its not in video, but "zoom all" functions as it should. Please see screencast for results. I apologize for the video length, but it was the only way I could think of conveying the results.

I had linked wrong screencast, it is correct now. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/c171c82c-8295-4d6f-b434-8dd59ad7a9b1

Message 11 of 21
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

Please add the Length column in Model Browser, you don't have it currently.

Sort per length and take a screenshot.

acbsdesign_0-1650550838067.png

Regards,

Message 12 of 21
muleman1

model_browser_1.JPGmodel_browser_2.JPG

Message 13 of 21
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

Click on Length on top and sort so the shortest length is on top and make a screenshot.

Regards,

Message 14 of 21
muleman1

model_browser_3.JPG

Message 15 of 21
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

So no negative lengths...then some double feature, cut, shortening.

The 1/16" square bars-anything suspicious with them?

Regards,

Message 16 of 21
muleman1

When I get back to my machine, I'll seach again, but so far all my searches come back normal, ie "no errors", "nothing to purge", etc.... As for those 1/16" bars, I have no idea where they came from. I assume the macro generated them for whatever reason...  All this said, I am far, far from expert and we have no real reseller help, so a GIANT thanks to all who try to help us!!!!!!! We appreciate it beyond measure!!!!!!  

Message 17 of 21
Sebastian_Eiche

could you upload the model? it would be easier to have a direct view on it

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 18 of 21
muleman1
in reply to: Sebastian_Eiche

@Sebastian_Eiche thanks for looking. The orignal drawing is atttached to my 1st post. If you need the modified one I've been trying to fix with all the suggestions, it will be late afternoon be fore I get to my office to upload it,

Message 19 of 21
Sebastian_Eiche

correct...I didn't recognize it 😃

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 20 of 21
Sebastian_Eiche

I have short view. The problem is cause of the "long railing" not sure why. I tested it by deleting the objects and use "zoom all". 
in my video you see, I just select the grip point, move it a bit and move it back. With this routine, the railling will be "recreated" and after this...no problem.
Also the detail drawing has no bit green frame.

screencast: https://autode.sk/3OEUfW0

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report