Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visibility States in Prototype Headers

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
RyanS-HCL
510 Views, 10 Replies

Visibility States in Prototype Headers

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know if anyone has been successful in applying visibility states to their prototype headers? For example, our company frequently produces drawings for multiple clients that require their logos in the titleblocks and we add ours as a secondary block outside of the main titleblock. My goal is to use a visibility state in the header block to toggle certain logos and blocks. My problem is that AS will not fill out the titleblock if it has a vs in it.

Regards,

Ryan S.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
múinteoir
in reply to: RyanS-HCL

Good idea, but I've not tested it. I will do a test and see if I can get it to work

Jonathan Hand
Technology Manager - Symetri Tech

autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black

twitterNaviate

Message 3 of 11
AleckGiles

Hi,

I don't know about visibility states but the usual solution for this is to use Project Specific Prototypes.

Have various different sets of prototypes - one set per client with their title block on it - all with the original file names. Before creating drawings put a folder called "Prototypes" into the proejct folder (next to the BOM, Details, Databases, DSTV folders etc.). Fill the folder with the project specific protoypes (all wiht the normal standard file names). Then produce your drawings as normal.

As standard behaviour, if the requried protoype file name can be found in the project folder then that prototype is used. Only if there is no matching prototype in the project folder is the master one used from the standard Data folder.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 4 of 11
RyanS-HCL
in reply to: AleckGiles

Aleck,

I didn't realize that AS looked for prototypes in the project data folder. That's good to know. However, I was trying to avoid having a large library of client specific prototypes as it would be quite cumbersome to manage updates to a large quantity of prototypes. Hence the use of dynamic blocks for the headers.

Thanks,

Ryan S.

Message 5 of 11
múinteoir

See below screencast, visibility state added to prototype

Jonathan Hand

twitterNaviate

Message 6 of 11
RyanS-HCL
in reply to: múinteoir

Jonathan,

Yeah that's exactly how I created my prototypes. However, notice how AS doesn't update the tokens in the header.

Regards,

Ryan S

Message 7 of 11
grinvent

I am a single operator with many customers. I have a folder in my working directory where I store a copy of the prototypes. Each customer has a folder where I store their projects and within this folder I have a Prototype folder where I store their prototypes. Each one is customised with their logo and information and any specific requirements they want on all their drawings. Each customer has only 2 or 3 prototypes that they use for all their work so it is easy to setup. Once done I just copy this folder into any project I am working on for them and place in the Project folder and all drawings are produced perfectly.

Anytime I need to modify a title block with any particular project requirements it is a simple matter of opening that projects relevant prototype and making the changes. I do not muck around with xrefs, the prototypes folder can go from machine to machine and with no risk of losing logos or information.

Gary

Message 8 of 11
múinteoir

@grinvent it's the approach we recommend too

Jonathan Hand

twitterNaviate

Message 9 of 11
RyanS-HCL
in reply to: grinvent

Thanks Guys,

It looks like I'll have to do the same.

Regards,

RS

Message 10 of 11

what we sometimes do for a few people which work often for the same clients: use batch files. 
So the way Aleck wrote is very cool, but if you're working for the same clients but want to copy the prototypes for each project, you didn't want to have so many copies of the prototype files.
We create batch files, in this files we copy the prototyp files from one folder to another (one folder for each client) and in the end of the batch file we start AS. So f you have maybe 4 clients, we create 4 batchfiles, and copy them to the desktop. So you have 4 desktop icons (you could change the icon to As): AS 2017 client 1, AS 2017 client 2, AS 2017 client 3, AS 2017 client 4.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 11 of 11
abs30116

RyanS-HCL,

I use the multiple prototype folder option.  One setup for each customer.  Not a big deal to work with, but I see what you are trying to accomplish.  AS only updates one title block per drawing.  Sometimes I have a copy to the side for doing large stair details and need more room for the sections.  When I update the title blocks only the main one is updated.  That could be what is happening to you.  Instead of using Visibility could you not use the Layers?  Put each customer logo on its own layer.  Then turn on the customer layer you need for that drawing set and only that one will be visible.  This may stop the Visibility from blocking the update.

Just a thought. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report