Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Drawings

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
darcy.knopp
310 Views, 6 Replies

Subassembly Drawings

I'm working in a large model, and I would like to be able to create subassembly drawings for our fabrication shop. Is there a way after the fact to create now that all the main parts have been identified? For example, I have a module in which I would like to make subassembly drawings of the columns showing where the stiffeners need to be placed but have one main assembly of the panel made up of these subassemblies.  

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Lewk_SGS
in reply to: darcy.knopp

Firstly, subassemblies aren't a thing in Advance Steel (though pretty much everyone would certainly like that to be). Used to be an Ideas thread that Autodesk saw at one point and placed it on their road map... only for it never to have been seen again.

But let me see here... 

@darcy.knopp wrote:

For example, I have a module in which I would like to make subassembly drawings of the columns showing where the stiffeners need to be placed...

You can make "subassemblies" separate from the main column, they'll just be seen as assemblies though. What you can do is just not have them attached to the column, only attaching what you want in the main assembly drawing. Then you can use cameras in the model to show these columns and where these subassemblies go, showing the attachment. Instead of making them erection drawings for the field, you'd be making them into additional (supplemental) drawings for the shop fabrication.

This second part...

@darcy.knopp wrote:

...but have one main assembly of the panel made up of these subassemblies.  

This is where I get a little confused, unless I can interpret this as already covered in my answer to the first part. With the supplemental shop drawings I described, you can treat it just as an assembly drawing and show what is required.

Lewk_PSB is an old account that is owned by a company I no longer work for.

If this reply answers your question, please "Accept as Solution" - Thanks!
Message 3 of 7
Flies-Eyes
in reply to: Lewk_SGS

Another option to manage/hack the non-existent sub-assembly feature is to use a custom drawing style that has staged views to only show specific elements of an assembly.  

Message 4 of 7

The sub-assembly functionality does not exist in AS, but one of the best things about AS is that you have full AutoCAD functionality within the drawings.  

If you have a master model at sub-assembly level fully numbered, then the sub-assembly drawings & part drawings can be produced from there.

Depending on exactly what you are looking to achieve, I would either use the AS cameras and produce the final assembly drawings as GA's, or I would produce & explode camera views/assembly drawings and x-ref for detailing in 2D AutoCAD.

Not ideal I know, but if you want to get the job done you have to work with what you have got.......

Message 5 of 7
darcy.knopp

Yea, I was worried I would have to come up with some sort of workaround to make this work. Thanks for the comments and posts. I opened a service ticket with Customer Support, and they also confirmed the same thing. They did say that it has been added to the list of software design implementations, but there is no word on when it might be implemented or if ever. 

Message 6 of 7
Lewk_SGS

Advance Steel is not going to be getting any new implementations, as it has been placed on "maintenance mode". The only time, if ever, we will see this implemented will be when Advance Steel gets absorbed into Revit.

Lewk_PSB is an old account that is owned by a company I no longer work for.

If this reply answers your question, please "Accept as Solution" - Thanks!
Message 7 of 7
vuongbui.nuce

my ideas is make duplicate assembly drawing, and you setup some new drawing style for view to visible in "duplicate drawing". turn off duplicate drawing when you did it.

vuongbuinuce_0-1719308051681.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report