Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Role

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jdk5225g
270 Views, 3 Replies

Model Role

I have seen videos of Model Roles, how to make them and how important they are but what effect do they have? I see some have "beams" for example but some have the "Model Role" box checked and some don't. What effect does this box have? I don't get it.

Thanks 

JK

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Ignus.E
in reply to: jdk5225g

Hi

Model Roles are extremely important. It defines in the Drawing process what Drawing style needs to be used to create the drawing for the selected element. For example it a beam is set to a Beam model role, it will be detailed using that specific drawing style to give you the best drawing output. The Checkbox next to the model role in the beam properties if checked means that the numbering process will also take the Model role into consideration. For example if you have 2 exact same beams (and prefixes is not activated) but one has a model role of Column and the other of beam, they would get different part numbers  instead of the same one.

And additional Model Roles can be created in the Management Tool under Object property Editor if required

Message 3 of 4
jdk5225g

Thanks

I get it. Big help

Message 4 of 4
johnjmbennett

Model role is part of the solution to drive a drawing style output,  the other part is the model object, a parameter inside the drawing style system that can be used to control the presentation of an object that can be a series of model roles combined under a model object.

also the model object is used to drive the drawing process manager, as part of the detail style map, that when you set a model object, this links to the model role/s and the style used is linked to the model object.

when a process is used to create drawings, the system works though the detail style map and when it comes to the model object, and the style set under that, that is the style associated with the element from the model.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfsAUcDrV4

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report