Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export AS model to step file for Inventor

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jlane
13565 Views, 7 Replies

Export AS model to step file for Inventor

We're having problems importing an AS model into Inventor (as a .stp file)

Looks like we have two AS options to export to step file format:

Export CIS/2

Export PSS

In both cases, we have no problems with the export command itself.  It creates the .stp file as expected.

When we try to open/import in Inventor, nothing shows up.

(As a side point... When we try to open in Navisworks, only the .stp file created with the Export CIS/2 method shows up correctly.)

What is the best export method for getting an AS model into Inventor?  What settings might need to be adjusted in AS?

Thx!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cad
Advocate
in reply to: jlane

Hi,

AS cannot export a step file directly. In my opinion this is a big problem.

To export your model to inventor you can use the IGES format. ACAD support this format (File --> Export --> Save as).

IMPORTANT: FIRST make a copy of your model. In this copy you explode all AS objects into ACIS objects (in the context menu "Explode to ACIS").

After that go to File --> Export and give a file name. The file format shoud be IGES. Click OK and select the objects you want to export.

This file you can import / open in inventor (I hope).

Another way we go is to export to a SAT file. Its the same procedure as IGES but another file format.

Greetings

Joerg

Message 3 of 8
jlane
in reply to: cad

Thanks Joerg!

Message 4 of 8
wtheron

Jlane, once you have exploded to ACIS. Open your model in AutoCAD Mechanical, this is included with Inventor. In AutoCAD mechanical you can use STEPOUT command.
Message 5 of 8
jlane
in reply to: wtheron

Thx wtheron.  That works too.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi,

You can try the attached dll. (For AS2015.1)

In acad, use NETLAOD command and laod the DLL.

The command is ASEXPLODEALL.

It explode all the AS entities, union them if needed (folded plates) and then erase all AS element from the drawing. You'll have to export to step file.

This is homemade command, don't hesitate to comment !

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I do not understand why you would use IGES or Step when you could use the ACISOUT command in AutoCAD saving the information to the native model format for both AutoCAD and Inventor which would eliminate any translation errors

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree that this could use some improvement. 

After a lot of research, including finding this topic, this worked well for me (2019).
In AS, in a copy DWG I copy and move the "assemblies" using Advance copy with "include additional objects" checked so it copies bolts/ holes, etc. Moving makes it easier for selection of the logical assemblies for export. I then hide bolts and anchor layers, as I bolt these up in Inventor if/ when needed as I use Inventor mostly for analysis and dynamic presentations of how it will all go together. 
I then explode everything in the DWG once, and then ACISOUT command and select for each assembly, which I then import into Inventor.   Works well, but I wish that:

Could ACISOUT AS assemblies instead of having to explode them.  Ideally, have Inventor able to deal with AS native objects. The assemblies are known in AS (which is a powerful feature) so I'd like to see that used downstream in the pipeline somehow instead of duplicating work. 
Revit as an intermediary does not work at all.  Not all AS objects come in to Revit, and some that do have their UCS screwed up.  Some are upside down, baseplates end up on tops of columns, etc.  Needs work. 

Still beats drafting by hand though. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report