Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Style Manager

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jdk5225g
679 Views, 11 Replies

Drawing Style Manager

I am trying to add a 3d view to the DSM. The help files are showing a "Tie Beam" on their list, well I don't have "Tie Beam" on my list. I am stuck, please help.

Joseph

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Sebastian_Eiche
in reply to: jdk5225g

We need more information. What do you want to add? A view to an existing detailstyle like mainpart?

There's no existing automatic iso view, therefore you will need to add a view based on ucs.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 3 of 12
Garret_H

I've only ever added 3D views by creating a separate camera or creating a separate drawing then adding (moving) it to my drawing sheet.    This isn't Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion 360 or any other kind of GOOD 3D software where you can simply add views at the click of a button.  Advance Steel is a horrible kludge of a software package. 

Message 4 of 12
jdk5225g

After looking into this further I see I am missing a download "tie beam" . The link that is provided does not work. I am still on this but can use help.

Thank you 

Message 5 of 12
jdk5225g
in reply to: Garret_H

okay....wow
Message 6 of 12
Garret_H

I'm personally not aware of any drawing style that will let you create a 3D view of any particular object alongside the 2D views. That said there are also other drawing styles that are locked away in some of the different region builds.  For example "Cladding GA" is in the UK build but not US, so you can't create a general arrangement view of cladding (with labels and a table) without going through a bunch of work and effort to figure it out.  I guess that according to AutoDesk and Graitec cladding doesn't exist in North America so we don't get pre-loaded drawing styles to use it!

Any of the 3D views seem to be based on the UCS, and I'm unaware of how one creates a view from the individual object CS (Coordinate system) within any given drawing.

So.... here is what I do:

1. Use the Viewcube to pick set an isometric view of the model. Rotate around if you wish.
  2. Type 'UCS' and type 'V' to select View.  This aligns the UCS to that particular view.
  3. From the Advance Steel Tool Palette, Tools (wrench and hammer icon) click 'Create Camera, UCS' its the little camera icon. Pick a point on the object you want to create a 3D view of.
  4. This brings up the camera control dialogue box. 
    1. In the 'Properties' tab Enter a name for the camera in the description. Handy for tracking.
    2. Set 'Style' to one of the 3D Views, although a regular detail view will also work. You might want to try a few different ones.
    3. Pick a scale you think will fit, you can always adjust it later.
    4. In the Detail Box tab you can adjust it to only consider one region and depth, or everything.
    5. In the select objects for camera tab is everything you need to select the objects, show what is selected, and change it later.
  5. Now you have a camera. You can copy it around, rotate it, change selected objects to create additional views. Faster than repeating steps to copy it around.
  6. I often change the layer that the camera object is drawn on, as you can end up with a lot of different ones and its helpful to freeze different layers.
  7. Now, for actually creating the drawing view you have to use 'Drawing Processes'.  If there's a way to create camera views from 'Drawing Styles' I am unaware of it.
  8. Select all the cameras you want to create a drawing view of, or do the next step one at a time.
  9. Use the 'Cameras' and 'Selected cameras each ANSI A' drawing process to put all those views onto there own little drawing.
  10. Check out the drawings to see if you created what you wanted. Close them when done.
  11. Now open up 'Document Manager' and expand the trees for both the new drawings you created and the one where you want to place your 3D View.  
  12. The camera view will show up in the tree as '3D view', or if Advance Steel is in a good mood and you've made sufficient sacrifices to the CAD gods and in the correct order it may even have the name you wrote out.
  13. Drag that camera view over to the drawing you want to place it on. Don't twitch, sneeze or miss, there is no undo for this part.
  14. The camera view is now moved to your drawing, and the temporary drawing you created will be deleted automatically.
  15. Open your drawing, adjust the placement, labels and scale until you're happy.

Congrats! In only 15 convoluted steps you've now placed a 3D view in your drawing! Pat yourself on the back and try not to think about how you're paying thousands of dollars annually on this for this software that never improves.

This, to my knowledge so far, is the only good way to do it.  You can use the 'create 3D views from selected objects' drawing style without using a camera BUT if your object ever has new parts added to it those won't update, so its a really limited option. 

In other software like Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion360 etc you can do all this in a few clicks with more control, options, and general enjoyment of your existence.

Message 7 of 12
Sebastian_Eiche

the problem is "based on UCS". 
The steps are not needed if you could use the same UCS for all mainparts (I know this is not working in the most cases but for some users it is)
By using the same UCS, you culd create an additional view in your MP-Detailstyle which is based on UCS and modelobject is the Mainpart. 
If you then run a process for MP the there will be a 3D view for each MP based on this UCS.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 8 of 12
FCort

PROSTEEL also has a quick way to add 3D ISO views.
Message 9 of 12
jdk5225g

Okay, thanks for the time spent on this.

Thank you
Joseph
Message 10 of 12
Tony_Gibbs

See the attachment. I think this is what you are asking

Message 11 of 12
Garret_H

Something to add that may be helpful in creating isometric views:

Holes won't show up by default, and it isn't controlled by the drawing style. Instead that setting exists in Management Tools, which overrides the individual drawing style settings that are typically used to create the camera/iso/detail views.  

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Holes-missing-in-A....

Message 12 of 12
AleckGiles

Hi,

This page in the built-in AS Help explains how to add a 3D view to an assembly drawing style. You can use this method on any style for any model object. It does not have to be a tie beam or anything else. Just find the right style for the object you are drawing and edit that. You can find the style used in a drawing by Double Clicking the outer green frame around the view and looking in the bottom left of the Detail Properties dialog.

When you produce the drawings you will need your UCS set for a 3D view and the same 3D orientation will be used for all drawings made in that process.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report