Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Stair Bolts

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
munrue
3110 Views, 44 Replies

Custom Stair Bolts

I have searched and read thru the forums and viewed many youtube videos with no success. I have been trying to add into Advance Steel 2019 a 3/8" A307 bolt for attaching stair treads to stringers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently detailing several large stair systems and this has been a major hangup. I just need a clear walkthrough or someway to import the 3/8" A307 bolt.

Thanks in advance.

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
alickomay
in reply to: munrue

have u triyed going to maneger  (from tools tab)

then bolts

cee pic

if selected xox  bolts  but shorly be same with any bolt 

Message 3 of 45
alickomay
in reply to: alickomay

fugot pic

Message 4 of 45
alickomay

on further investigation adding a bolt to bolt dont change what's available in stair macro

it seems to match the prefered sizes  but no not quite

so im thinking u mite find sumet in the table editor  with the big data base  but i been looking throw and cant find any thing 

Message 5 of 45
steeldesgn

You would think that autodesk would add these instead of the user having to create them. These are not custom bolts they are standard for connecting grating treads to stringers. The 1/2" bolt that is used wont quite fit in the tread since they are manufactured for a 3/8" bolt. One would think it would be easier for autodesk  to create a 3/8"x1 1/4" bolt assembly than it would be for the user. All we need is one and the user can add on from there. Ive also noticed that if you have a dogleg at the top and create last tread it only adds the rear hole for the tread and not the front hole whats up with that.

Message 6 of 45
alickomay

iv manege to add a bolt

so first thing to realise was it is not a stair macro thing ,all things that let u put bolts in give u the same list of size options

u need to go to manager tools

bolts

then find the bolt type u use , make shore grade allso rite

then compare the ones that it lets u use to one it dont 

the ones it dont let u use  have most of the date field's  blank  

u need to fill in bank stuff so it more like the one u can use 

then clos manager and adv st , reopen advs steel 

i didn't fill in that much of table only put 2 bolts lengths in

and  for sum reason the nut washer gos on wrong way round  but the drawings got rite hole size  

allso it would not let me give it rite size washer and nut  

u can see in pic autodesk m12 to my m14

Message 7 of 45
alickomay

so to get bolt washer rite way round u need to put them in the rite way round

in set u need washer then nut , i had nut then washer before 

allso u can add new washers an nuts 

go to main tab on left there is bolt / nut / washer 

uil need to add new bolt ,washer an nut

again ur just looking  at the ones that work noticing the ones that don't have many blank fields

so fill them in to look like the ones that work 

Message 8 of 45
RonBuckingham

Hi Munrue,

I would also like this question answered.  It seems like this 3/8" bolt for stair treads gets asked a lot, and the answers tend to be "watch this video" or "add it in management tools".  I'm probably like you, tried to watch these videos and figure out the MT but couldn't.  I recently did some stairs like this, couldn't figure it out, and used the 1/2" bolts then edited the callouts on the holes to be 7/16" dia! (Probably not the best work flow)BOLT1.jpg

BOLT2.jpg

So I've tried watching videos, learning and going into MT, but I am stuck

BOLT3.jpg

My request to the experts is a step-by-step procedure with lots of screen shots on how to do this ONE simple(?) task. Add a 3/8" bolt to the A307 set.  It seems like it should be easy, but I couldn't do it.

Regards

Ron Buckingham

Message 9 of 45
alickomay
in reply to: RonBuckingham

i made a screen cast  its uploading just now

its maybe not the best  but i cant delete a bolt once i add it to connection list

so i cant remake screencast  with out making new bolt and iv now got 3 unwonted bolts in list 

for sum reason its called this last  bolt i made 7  instead of 7mm

the m14 and m18 i made are labeled like others/properly

allso the bolt dont look that good the geometry values i put in are just a guess  u can go back a change values later 

allso the last tab bolts u may wont to try fill sum that in as it seems to have names 

but i just made a bolt list and its showing m18 an m7 so maybe just leve that part

Message 10 of 45
RonBuckingham

Hi munrue and alickomay,

I watched your screen cast and got some good tips. I also watched Advance Steel IQ #2 on youtube.  I was finally able to add those 3/8" A307 bolts, but it was a long and complicated process.... I had no idea what was involved. I put all my steps in a pdf document which I am posting here. Hope it helps (it probably has some typos too)

Regards,
Ron Buckingham

Message 11 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: steeldesgn

I’ve also reached the end of my patience with these simple fixes not being addressed yet. Let’s get some input from @Gernot.Jeromin

Message 12 of 45
steeldesgn
in reply to: RonBuckingham

im looking for astorbase.mdb file to back up, but all i have showing is a astorbase.mdf file are these the same?

Message 13 of 45
alickomay

yer

thay changed database format last year 

but meny documents will still say old format

Message 14 of 45
RonBuckingham

Hmmm, that is funny..... when I saw your question, I figured it was just a typo on my part.  I checked and the file I backed up was indeed astorbase.mdf, not astorbase.mdb.   But I went back and looked at the youtube "Build your Advance Steel IQ #2 customizing bolts", the file is shown as mdb.  That was where I had originally watched it (so "mdb" was in my head) but it looks like that file extension has changed to .mdf on later versions??

Ron

Message 15 of 45
janet_black

Hi Munrue,Smiley Happy

There is a much easier way to achieve your desire.

1. I have attached  the zip file, save it to an appropriate location and extract it. You will see the format A307.mdb
  2. Open your Advance Steel Management Tools (ASMT).
  3. Select the Bolts category. After selecting the expansion arrow to the right, select the A307 from the list. You need to import the bolt.
  4. Select the icon at the upper left “Import bolts” icon.
  5. Navigate to where the A307.mdb bolt was extracted (Save it on your desktop) select it and hit Open.
  6. Hit Apply.
  7. Select the Defaults Category  from the Advance Steel Management Tools,then hit Load settings in Advance.
  8. Go back in the model and Select Update defaults from the Home tab Settings panel.

You should now have the 3/8" bolt.

This work flow should not take more than 5 minutes!

Please see attached for the zip file and a Step by step Color PDF.

I hope this helped.

Best regards,

Graitec CANADA

Janet

Message 16 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: janet_black

This works! Thank you Janet

Message 17 of 45
janet_black
in reply to: Anonymous

My pleasure S. Lapoint!

I hope you like it.

I aime to please.Smiley Happy

Janet

Graitec Canada

Message 18 of 45
steeldesgn

Thank you Janet, less than 5 minutes and i have 3/8 and 5/16 bolt assemblies. Once again Graitec to the rescue. Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 45
steeldesgn

Also does anyone else have this problem when using grating treads. When a grating stair is drawn the last tread at the top only receives one hole in the stringer (the rear hole) the front hole has a bolt placed through the tread and stringer but there is no hole in stringer thus creating a clash.

Message 20 of 45
suesLPLV6

So helpful thank you!  It shouldn't be this hard.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report