Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to add US wood sizes

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
muleman1
9650 Views, 14 Replies

best way to add US wood sizes

Can someone suggest the best way to add US wood sizes to 2017.1. similar to existing timber sizes... maybe @múinteoir  or  @AleckGiles or @Kirk_bailey

wood sizes.png

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Kirk_bailey
in reply to: muleman1

Really Easy way I did was

1. Open Manager Tools.
  2. Open Table Editor.
  3. Use the filter and search for any of the following:

• EXT_Wood_Stock,
  • EXT_Wood_Solid,
  • EXT_Wood_Laminated,
  • EXT_Timber_Purlins,
  • EXT_Timber_Cladding.

Menards Ref.pngTimber Sections.png

Go back into advance Steel and Reload defaults.Reload Defaults.png

Message 3 of 15
múinteoir

Think @Anonymous_baikey has nailed it

Jonathan Hand
Technology Manager - Symetri Tech

autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black

twitterNaviate

Message 4 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: Kirk_bailey

@Kirk_bailey THANKS! It was very easy with the good instruction!!!

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 5 of 15
muleman1

@Kirk_bailey well I have the US wood framing sizes along with a couple LVL's too and have several in a small project. I need them to show in BOM, but can't see them in any choice from the BOM choices. I see them in numbering panel, but not in BOM? Any suggestion?

Message 6 of 15
Kirk_bailey

Try mapping it as a beam or plate in the drawing style manager and assign it a model role during a drawing creation process.

This process is pretty easy because all you do is assign a role to a pre existing style map. By clicking a button.
Message 7 of 15
Sebastian_Eiche

You don't had to use the mapping. Do the following:
-open the bom editor and choose your list
-now click with right click of your mouse on the title of the list in the right explorer view
-there should be a point in the context menu which is called 'report content'...click on it
-now there's a dialogue in which you could set, which parts should be shown in this list...set the check box for timber to true...
If you now use this list, your list should be shown your parts.
If you need a few pictures or a screen cast give a note
Regards Sebastian

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 8 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: Sebastian_Eiche

@Sebastian_Eiche  that did it !! Thanks !!

Message 9 of 15
Flies-Eyes

Hi,

We are doing something very similar.   We have created the timber sizes and LVL sizes in the library however we still can't seem to be able to get the Material Summary to list them.  

Did you find a solution to allow these timber elements to be listed on BOM?

Thanks in Advance

Message 10 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: Flies-Eyes

see if this screencast helps. remember to always make copy of bom. prototype, etc before modifying,,,saves a lot of grief

Message 11 of 15
Flies-Eyes

Hi,

Thanks for that Screencast.  We finally understood the note on the previous thread,  however your screencast makes it much easier to follow.

Cheers

Message 12 of 15
ecapati

@muleman1 cwhen you get a chance can you show a screen cast on how you did it?.. I tried Kirk Bailey's solution but when I put the 2X4 (1.5X3.5) wood in my model the size comes out different. I might be missing something in the process?

Message 13 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: ecapati

@ecapati are you inputting your dims as millimeters? For some reason even when you using Imperial dims, you have to modify databases in metric....

ex: a 2 x 4  (1.5"x3.5") would be input as 38.1 x 88.9

timber pulins.png

Message 14 of 15
ecapati

@muleman1 it works! thank you so much.. I didn't notice that blue note on Kirk's solution. Your picture made it clear for my poor eye sight.. 🙂

thanks again..

Message 15 of 15
cobeySY6K2

Long time reader, first time commenter.

Thanks for changing my life... 👍

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report