Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Steel 2024 - what does it look like, what are the known informations?

129 REPLIES 129
SOLVED
Message 1 of 130
bigcarl5000kg
18437 Views, 129 Replies

Advance Steel 2024 - what does it look like, what are the known informations?

Dear community,

has anyone heard or seen anything about Advance Steel 2024, which will probably-hopefully be released in the 2nd quarter of this year?

Edit:

What do you think of Advance Steel and the competition overall?

One for all, all for one ...

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
129 REPLIES 129
Message 81 of 130
NinovSM
in reply to: bigcarl5000kg

I develop applications for Advance Steel, and I'm shure this news won't give me benefits. It's more likely that I'll just lose some customers and it will happen until in a few years there won't be any at all. 

This year will be 15 years since I worked with the AS.

The page is closed.

Message 82 of 130
acbsdesign

@NinovSM 

In a few years AD will realize the path that was introduced happens only in a perfect world, with design engineers willing to model to LODXXX are less than 1% in real life.

Steel shops will ask for an affordable, fast detailing package. They won't stop.

Tekla and SDS users are fed up with pricing.

Stick around and do your thing.

We will survive and we will prove that what is on paper does not mean it is always right.

Have a great day everyone.

Don't be in a hurry to close the page.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 83 of 130
fcorte

Stopping improvements and fixing bugs will make banish existing and new customers.
What are other options?
Have you ever tried ProSteel 3D, ASteel 3D, TECNOMETAL, Soft STEEL, ParaBuild Steel, Comosys, IdeCAD, TSteel 3D, HiCAD?

Message 84 of 130
Adrian.Mangan
in reply to: acbsdesign

Would totally agree with this, also this article basically says what I was told 5 years ago, and revit is rubbish for steel for real users.

Message 85 of 130
acbsdesign
in reply to: Adrian.Mangan

@Adrian.Mangan 

I have Revit on one workstation, but it is not my thing, at least until it has the ability to produce dwgs fast as AS does.

We will see, but folks giving up so quickly, no, no that fast.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 86 of 130

I worked with parabuild for 10years, i went to AS because the many crashes.

much more than the many crashes AS2018 has.

Otherwise it was an easy modeling program that works alse on Autocad and the cheaper Bricscad.

Now i already has Tekla to work with.

I tryed it but found so many stupit thing to work with that i stayed with AS.

AS is the best way for steel only.

If you want to work with concrete, tekla is very good.

The tell you that tekla is so big nobody know it complete, but is build so complex nobody understands it to its full potential.

They need me for a year to make it realy good 🙂

Wil AS work on the new Autocad versions?

Or are we stuck to an autocad 2023 untill the end of days?

I just paid for 3 more years...

or will this all end when you can only install 3 versions down of autocad?

When you buy a program you can keep using it, when you have a subscription we are DOOMED

Message 87 of 130

It sounds they'll maintain it for future versions. But just no new features.
Message 88 of 130
fcorte
in reply to: Julio_Soto

"JUST" no improvements, but continue paying!
Message 89 of 130
Adrian.Mangan
in reply to: acbsdesign

Revit is just not good at steel modeling accurately in my opinion, never mind the "no documentation" does it even number yet properly, like you said in the real world this doesn't work, they mention how people model in revit and then use AS for fabrication drawings, I have tried to implement this for years and it doesn't work for real day use. no close in my meager opinion

Message 90 of 130

Well. I'm thoroughly disappointed with that article. For me maintenance mode is only one step away from complete oblivion. Autodesk has a history of acquiring IPs, adding it to the list of products they own and in the background they are extracting features and code and integrating it into other software. Then they either discontinue the acquired IP or put it in maintenance mode (see dwf viewer, design review, 123Cad for example and I'm sure there is others). I'm beginning to wish that Autodesk never bought Advance Steel. At least we were getting meaningful updgrades under Graitec. When AD bought AS I remember thinking 'how long do we have before its gone and what are they going to force us into'. I say that because before the acquisition of AS, a AD representative came to me place of employment and wanted to show us a steel detailing software they were developing and wanted to get our thoughts on it. This was not advance steel, it was a from scratch development. It looked alright for something in very early development but I told them they have a long way to go to match the likes of AS, Tekla and SDS/2 (all of which I have years of experience on). Lo and behold a few short weeks later the announcement came of the sale. So from where I'm standing I can see the edge of the cliff. If the goal is to integrate AS into Revit or something I guess I'd be Ok with that as long its not a step or 2 or 3 backward. I hope they pull AS away from the edge though. After all they didn't say "temporarily" pivoting away.

On the upside, AS is still the best value for the money and there are still 3rd party developers we can possibly get new stuff from.

Bill

Message 91 of 130
fcorte
in reply to: pinnacledrafting

DEJA VU ? AutoCAD Structural Detailing ASD

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-Structural...

https://youtu.be/E2BlPg_Cw9U

So, they don't care the many hours users put to learn AS, create custom templates, prototypes, connections, tables, etc?

Message 92 of 130

This sounds great when did this become possible (and actually work)

AdrianMangan_0-1680192464918.png

Message 93 of 130
iwafb

So, some bright spark did "studies" to determine BIM saves 20-30% on a project. Maybe for the builder and designers who do less and less work every day. We're stuck with additional work/admin because we need to deal with sub-standard documentation, not to mention changes.

Well done Autodesk, great vision! Charge your customers on subscription so "you get access to improvements", then stop improving whilst we wait for the next option to be viable (if it ever will be). Maybe a study on process and modelling accuracy would be good, before you decide to throw everyone over the cliff. Could nearly accept this if you fixed bugs, but you don't even do that!

Oh, and to add, we're still not at the stage where a design model is accurate (or thought through enough) to become a fabrication model.

Message 94 of 130
pinnacledrafting
in reply to: iwafb

good points @iwafb 

Gone are the days of never even having to open the architectural designs cause everything you needed was in the structural drawings. We write more and more RFIs it seems as time goes on. If Architects and Engineers are putting in less effort now than ever before what makes AD think they are going to spend more time on a Revit model to add connections. The Revit models we get lately are sloppily done, beams only generally in the right location and elevation and not a connection to be seen. So that means they are using revit as concept and for creation of design drawings minus the design details. The design details come from a block library that they insert and many times there are details that don't even apply to the job and others that are never added that should have been. I just can't see how making all these "improvements" to revit is going help anything if nobody is going to use it. Ignoring Advance Steel for the sake of trying to force the design team into using revit more is pointless. They are not going to do it. The goal for the design time is pass off as much work to others as possible for the maximum profit possible. End of story.

Message 95 of 130

Same here, details from other projects are copied even if they don't apply to this project.

They do their "design" sometimes for a portion of the time we spend writing RFI's and doing the model right.

Regards,

Message 96 of 130

Agreed, it seems Revit steel was just created for engineers, can't see how it could be sued for detailing, they just don't want to work on adding folder to document manager. We will survive.

Message 97 of 130
acbsdesign
in reply to: Adrian.Mangan

We will survive because we know our job well.

We are flexible, and long hours of work don't scare us.

Lousy designers don't do enough damage to make us hate our job.

Regards,

Message 98 of 130
Flies-Eyes
in reply to: fcorte

They don't appear to give 2 hoots about customers, that is evident with the clear lack of substance in the announcement. The Safe Harbour statement seems like a Pearl Harbour statement. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

This is why open source software is the future. Having the technology vendor pulling the rug from under a business is a risk that can be avoided by using OS technology.
Message 99 of 130

Long live to Linux ... 😉

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 100 of 130

let's hope so. and AD don't just look at profit!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report