ACC General Discussion Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions and explore popular discussions about everything ACC
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific Permissions for members while using Bridge

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dzanta
216 Views, 7 Replies

Specific Permissions for members while using Bridge

Within the Bridge function of ACC:

- Currently, if a member wants to use Bridge, they need either the permissions level of Project Member or Administrator.  This allows them to set up the bridge, share the folder/files, view/edit/copy/move/link/etc. the data.  This is normally fine.  However...

I want to ensure any member of one company hub only has View/Link/Download functionality of files that are shared with the Bridge function from another company hub.  I DO NOT want them to be able to rename, move, or delete the data.  Is this possible?  If so, how do I get this set up?

The reason is as follows:

Structural Model (Company B) shared via Bridge can be used to view/download/link into Architecture Model (Company A).  Company A (Architect) cannot delete/modify/move the data (i.e., open the structural model in Revit and change the data to suit their needs).  Allowing the architect or any member of Company A to modify the structural model will be detrimental to the project since they are not structural engineers and should have those changes made by the engineer after approval and notification.

This logic goes both ways...Structural company and members should not be able to modify the Architect's model in any way....Each company should only be allowed to view/link into their model for coordination.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
roy_peryea2
in reply to: dzanta

Hi @dzanta,

Thank you for your question and it's great to see you are interested in using Bridge. 

Are you concerned that the receiving project (Architect) should not be able to make any changes that would impact the original model located in the sending project (Structural company)? Or are you hoping to prevent the receiving project (Architect) from making changes to their own copy of the Structural company's model?

As some context:

When a user shares content to a receiving project, Bridge makes a copy of the content and saves it in the receiving project. So if a user in the receiving project renames, moves, or deletes the content, it will not result in any changes to the original files found in the sending project. 

When bridging Revit cloud-workshared models, the receiving project will only receive a published version of the Revit model (live-linking is not supported). Therefore any changes that the receiving project makes to the Revit model (renaming, moving, deleting) would not have any impact on the original Revit cloud-workshared model in the sending project.

Best,

Roy

Roy Peryea
Senior Product Manager
Message 3 of 8
dzanta
in reply to: roy_peryea2

See below:

Are you concerned that the receiving project (Architect) should not be able to make any changes that would impact the original model located in the sending project (Structural company)? Answer:  Correct.  Structural company worries that once the model data (published or not) is given to the Architect, the users will modify the structural model without prior approval and it leads to errors in what is permitted/constructed.

Are you hoping to prevent the receiving project (Architect) from making changes to their own copy of the Structural company's model? Answer:  Correct.  Structural is trying to prevent any unwanted changes to the data without their knowledge and have conflicting information which leads to problems down the road.

When bridging Revit cloud-workshared models, the receiving project will only receive a published version of the Revit model (live-linking is not supported). Therefore any changes that the receiving project makes to the Revit model (renaming, moving, deleting) would not have any impact on the original Revit cloud-workshared model in the sending project.  Comments:  This I understand but an end user on either company side can easily download the shared Revit model, make changes and push it back up to suit their needs and therefore conflict with what is the true Structural model.

Ultimately, I would like to see a permission system in place whereby any bridge shared file/folder can only be used in the following manner:  link into another model and read the model only.  NO copy, delete, rename, download, etc. functionality.  This will prevent people from making unwise decisions on altering the data without the correct permissions from the PE/Licensed Arch.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 4 of 8
roy_peryea2

I see. I understand your concerns, thank you for this feedback. There are no near-term plans that would address your concerns unfortunately, however, I am recording this requested feature/enhancement so that we can keep track of it and any similar requests.

Best,

Roy

Best, Roy

Best,

Roy

Roy Peryea
Senior Product Manager
Message 5 of 8
ovais.mattooTH4AT

Hi Dzanta,

Bridging is always just sending a COPY of the original file. So that copy can be manipulated and currently no technical way to lock that down. Ensuring the other company doesn't modify that copy would have to be a procedural agreement rather than a technical solution.

Message 6 of 8
Chad-Smith

@dzanta Not sure if the new Bridge improvement will address your needs? Might be worth a look. I've not tested it.

Bridge | Send to Receiver for Files

In order to send files, users no longer need to be a member of both sending and receiving projects. Now any user can share Files to any project that already has a bridged connection saving time and allowing for more streamlined collaboration.

40+ Fresh Product Releases You Should Know in January - Digital Builder (autodesk.com)

Message 7 of 8
dzanta
in reply to: Chad-Smith

Thank you @Chad-Smith.  I will look into it when I get a chance again.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Mohamed-Nassar

Greeting! 

Yes it could be, First to use bridge between 2 companies you have to invite both in each project, then specify which folder you will use for bridging in this case you can Assign company A View/Downlad persmission to let them see any updates, and comapny B has the access if you assign them to this folder (Preferred View/Downloan only except the one who will Update the files) and the vice versa for the other company, by this way you can manage who share what and when and who will get the information without the authority of modifying. 

Best regards, if you have further questions don't hesitate to ask any time. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above reply answers your question; Please mark it with ACCEPT SOLUTION
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mohamed Nassar , ACP, Autodesk Ambassador Gold
BIM Support / Structure Modeler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

View short, easy-to-follow videos about how to use Autodesk's construction products.