Rendering Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Rendering Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Rendering topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo panorama with Oculus Rift

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
anavaidya
3235 Views, 19 Replies

Stereo panorama with Oculus Rift

As you know, we have a newer version of stereo panorama rendering with which you can also view these renders on the Oculus Rift. Here are the steps to getting this accomplished.

• Download Chrome "Dev" Here
  • Chrome://flags > Enable WebVR > Restart 
  • Connect your Oculus DK1/DK2 (Install Windows / OSX Runtime here)
  • Open your Panorama or Try this link
  • Click the 'webVR' icon on your panorama (bottom center)
Aradhana Vaidya
Customer Success Engineer, Rendering & Visualization
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
tiagoggl
in reply to: anavaidya

Hi, 

How can I run on my google cardboard? 

Thank you 

Message 3 of 20
SallyDong2005
in reply to: tiagoggl

Hi,

You could try to open the shared link of your panorama on you phone (safari /chrome/ IE11 brwoser), and rotate you phone to landscape, it will show split screen, and then put you phone in your google cardboard. Any problem please let me know.

Thanks,
Sally Dong
Message 4 of 20
taza_cowi

Thanks for information. It was helpfull. Just wondering does it is possible to make stereo panorama or other type of file to have a chance to walk via the visualisation of project looking at? Like in a reality to go near the bridge, fence or something like that. I mean not just to turn around in one position.

Thanks

Message 5 of 20
SallyDong2005
in reply to: taza_cowi

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

We plan to make multinode panorama which could allow user to navigate. I guess this will meet your requirement. 

Thanks,
Sally Dong
Message 6 of 20
taza_cowi
in reply to: SallyDong2005

Can you guess when it will be ready for users?

Thanks

Message 7 of 20
anavaidya
in reply to: taza_cowi

Hi @taza_cowi,

We don't have an estimate of when this will be ready. But we will keep you updated once we release this feature.

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 8 of 20
mdoyle

It is with immense frustration I write this. These instructions are absolutley horrible. What is Dev? I have a 61mb folder full of files none of which is an exe. How on earth do they get into chrome?

Seriously, you need way better instructions here. I did not know that a 7z file was a zip, had to download and RESTART my machine and the files are still useless. You need to post a video to solve this. These instructions are ridiculous. 

Message 9 of 20
mdoyle
in reply to: mdoyle

You are leading me down the garden path. I don't think I've ever been this misled before. You need a list of prerequisites for this task. I must be missing more software, Please provide better instuctions.

Message 10 of 20
anavaidya
in reply to: mdoyle

Hi @mdoyle,

There are a few things that you need to check:

- Install the required runtime for your Oculus. Connect everything and make sure that the Oculus demo works. 

- A browser that supports webVR. For that, you have to install either a dev-version of Chrome or Firefox with VR. Then make sure that examples work with this browser. Also remember that the browsers keep getting updated, so stick to version that works.

Once things are set up, then try a sample stereo pano rendering. If that works, try your own rendering. Here are the detailed steps

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 11 of 20
jbayne

Has a workflow been set on how to get the interactive panorama that i create into the Samsung Gear VR?
Message 12 of 20
anavaidya
in reply to: jbayne

Hi @jbayne,

Please refer to this blog post which has detailed steps. You can also find this information in the readme file, which is available after you "download as zip"

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 13 of 20
chris.wright

Is there a way to view the rendering with Oculus Rift CV1?

Message 14 of 20
anavaidya
in reply to: chris.wright

Hi Chris,

We haven't tried it with  Oculus Rift CV1. Have you looked at the steps listed here ?

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 15 of 20
jrotella

We tried this with the Oculus Rift CV1, and it does not seem to work.

Followed all the steps outlined in your blog post and from A360 rendering site, using Chromium 52.0.2715.0 with the webvr flag enabled. When we open up the panorama, with the functioning Oculus connected, we do not get a WebVR button to show up.

Any ideas?

Message 16 of 20
chris.wright
in reply to: jrotella

We had a similar issue with Firefox Nightly.  We could see the rendering on the screen and had the button to use Oculus, but we were not able to view the rendering with the Oculus Rift CV1.

Message 17 of 20
putteK3HU6

Is it possible to run this with HTC VIVE or are you planning something for this as well?

Cheers

//P

Message 18 of 20
wblaney-cda
in reply to: chris.wright

Autodesk-

Another 6 months of silence on this... While there is a WebVR button on the pano test image, and the full-screen image on the monitor tracks with the headset, the view that renders in the Rift headset is shifted. The view in each eye is not aligned, so one sees double. AND the frame rate is dismally low so the experience is choppy.

VERY poor VR integration. Is there any progress being made?

Message 19 of 20
wblaney-cda
in reply to: wblaney-cda

SOLVED!

Ignore the info in the pano.autodesk.com website listed above and elsewhere in the forum. This is the way to do it!

1. Render your stereo panoramic image as usual.

2. Use the dropdown arrow on the thumbnail to Download Stereo-Pano for GearVR.

3. Make sure you have the Oculus 360 Photo app installed for your Rift headset.

4. Place the downloaded .jpg files in your  C:\Users\%%%\Pictures\OculusPhotos directory. <edit> The .json file does not appear to be required. </edit>

5. Open the 360 Photos app in your Rift and select your image from the My Photos section at the bottom.

Worked like a charm! Hope that helps...

AUTODESK - please track down and get rid of all the old useless references to processes that don't work!

Wes

Message 20 of 20
t.molloy3KCDZ
in reply to: wblaney-cda

Thank you Wes!! Stereo pano finally works perfectly for Oculus CV1. I've been searching for MONTHS for a solution to this problem - can't believe it was so hard to find.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report