Rendering Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Rendering Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Rendering topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo Panorama - Does not render artificial lighting [NOT AN ISSUE]

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Kngo-ton
2384 Views, 16 Replies

Stereo Panorama - Does not render artificial lighting [NOT AN ISSUE]

I have a scene that I've rendered using the Cloud that includes Exterior Day light plus artificial lighting. See Image 1 Attached. 

When this same scene renders for the Stereo Panorama, it appears as though the interior artificial lights are not in the scene at all. See Image 2.

Is this a bug or does the stereo panorama just not render artificial lights yet?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
anavaidya
in reply to: Kngo-ton

Hi @Kngo-ton,

Have you used the same camera for both these renders? When you submit from Revit, the light settings depend on the Lighting Scheme that is chosen for that particular view. Make sure that in the Lighting scheme both "Sun and Artificial" are selected. Here is a blog post that describes this in detail - http://autodesk360rendering.typepad.com/blog/2016/04/how-to-choose-lighting-settings-before-renderin...

You could also render a still image from a View and then go to My Renderings and re-render as stereo panorama. 

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Customer Success Engineer, Rendering & Visualization
Message 3 of 17
Kngo-ton
in reply to: anavaidya

Hi Aradhana,

My light settings have been set to "Interior" Artificial and Sun" and I've used the same exact camera for both renders.

See "Image 3" for the render settings. 

The Stereo Pano is still dark. It seems to only be using daylight. 

I've even already tried re-rendering the still as a stereo panorama, and it still looks dark. See Image 6.

Additionally, the same render with the same camera is rendered differently in the cloud vs the local computer.

On the local computer you can see the artificial lights (Image 4). 

However in the previous "Image 1", which was a cloud render, there doesn't seem to be any artificial and only sunlight. 

So how do I get artificial lights to show up in my Stereo Panorama?

I've also tried setting up simpler scenes with just a box and some lights and none of the lights render in the stereo pano or revit cloud, even though I've preset my Render settings in native Revit. 

Does it have anything to do with the Render cloud settings? Do I need to have presentation or final/high quality selected in order for the lights to render?

Thanks

Message 4 of 17
Kngo-ton

Message 5 of 17
anavaidya

Hi @Kngo-ton,

Regarding same camera is rendered differently in the cloud vs the local computer - 

Depending on your Revit version, local renderer might be mentalray. The render engine for local and cloud are different, so the render quality is different. 

Regarding So how do I get artificial lights to show up in my Stereo Panorama?

I looked at your render history and you have submitted rendering for different Views from Revit. Please make sure that light settings are set to "Interior" Artificial and Sun" for the view that you are rendering. It is not a global setting. Also, your artificial lights have to be ON. Did you read the link that I had posted earlier?

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 6 of 17
Kngo-ton

Hi @anavaidya,

Regarding the render engine for local and cloud are different, so the render quality is different: 

I am using Revit 2016 and using Autodesk Raytracer for the local rendering. 

Also, your artificial lights have to be ON. Did you read the link that I had posted earlier?

I've been using Revit rendering for +12 years and already know how to deal with these basic settings. And I believe that by default when lights are placed in Revit, they are typically already in the ON state, at least from my experience. So unless you turned them off yourself, they should render. But Image 7 shows my light settings and shows that they are all ON. 

Furthermore, the local render for the view shows the studio Lights, confirming that they are on (previous Image 4). But then rendering the same view on the cloud results in the darkened space (no artificial lights) for both the still images and stereo pano (previous images 1 & 2)

Regarding "I looked at your render history and you have submitted rendering for different Views from Revit. Please make sure that light settings are set to "Interior" Artificial and Sun" for the view that you are rendering. It is not a global setting."

The different views from Revit were duplicates of the same camera view and setting so that I could compare the different views to see if anything actually changed if I adjusted any settings. The Revit cloud will override renders with the same name, leaving no room for comparison.

And even when I adjust the settings for the same view and override the render on the cloud, there are no changes. Interior still and stereo pano renders to the cloud are still black. 

I also just reconfirmed what I already knew, but when you duplicate a camera view with detailing, the render settings also get duplicated into the new view. So as long as the original view had the correct Settings, the duplicated views will have the same settings as well. And furthermore, I still double checked that my settings for my views were set to Interior: Sun and Artificial before rendering and confirmed that the lights were on. 

So now I'm all out of ideas about why my interior renders to the cloud are complete black and darkness with no artificial lights on, even when the specific view settings are set to Interior: Sun and Artificial and I have confirmed the lights are on. 

I'm just going to assume that the cloud does not render Interior lights.

I even just now experimented with a new project file that is simply a square box room with (4) light fixtures in it. The local render shows the lights as can be seen in Image 8. And the same view rendered onto the cloud is complete black (image 9). Any further thoughts on this issue?

-Thanks

Kenny

Message 7 of 17
anavaidya

Hi Kenny,

I'm sorry about the problems that you are facing regarding lighting. If Cloud render could not render artificial lights, I would have told you that. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Can you attach your Revit file here? Or send it to support.autodesk360.rendering@autodesk.com. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks for your patience.

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 8 of 17
Kngo-ton

Hi @anavaidya,

I've sent the Revit model to support.autodesk360.rendering@autodesk.com a few days ago. Did you get a chance to look at it?

- Thanks

Kenny

Message 9 of 17
Kngo-ton

Hi @anavaidya,

I jumped back into the project today and somehow the artificial lights just turned on.

I haven't really adjusted any settings so the mystery remains, but for now the renders are showing lights. 

Thanks for your help and patience.

-Kenny

Message 10 of 17
anavaidya

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for sending your model. I replied to you via email.

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 11 of 17
ConstantinBudui

Hi,

I had the same problem described above by Kngo-ton, I've been using Revit for 7 years and I've always thought that the cloud cannot render both artificial and sunlight in the same time. So I always have to render them separately and merge them in another image editing software, which is time consuming and doesen't look as it normally should. 

It is true that sometimes, without any different settings, the cloud just renders both, unexpectedly, but this rarely happens. I had the exact same problem for the last 2-3 years, and I've done the same experiments as described by Kngo-ton. It just seems that the cloud has problems processing the settings or it cannot handle both interior and exterior lightnings.

Would be nice to know the truth

PS: Yes, I've read the blog post that described the settings and , doh, of course I've used the same process

Message 12 of 17
anavaidya
in reply to: ConstantinBudui

Hi @ConstantinBudui,

I want you to know that Cloud rendering can handle both interior and exterior lighting and as you might know, these have to be set in the "Lighting Scheme" in Revit. The service has been running for several years and you can look at images published in the Gallery by our customers. You will see examples of exterior and interior lighting. 

In the case of @Kngo-ton, the views that he complained about were set to Exterior: Sun only. Once I changed it to it to Interior: Artificial only and Interior: Sun + Artificial, I was able to see the lights being rendered. 

If you'd like us to look at your file, please send it to support.autodesk360.rendering@autodesk.com and let me know. I'd be happy to take a look. We do have known issues with IES lights. So if you are using those, there could be issues in getting the exact fall-off, but the light will still be rendered. 

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 13 of 17
ConstantinBudui

Setting the view to Interior: sun and Artificial was the first setting I made. I'm just saying most of the time, the cloud does not render both. I can see that others have managed but I had to think there's a special setting when sending to the cloud...maybe using native exposure instead of advanced, or making a jpeg, or tiff instead of png. I couldn't find the answer.

I'm working in a big company and this is really important for us to work. I cannot send you the models because they are confidential, yet I can make a demo scene to try again and I will send that if still doesen't work

Best, Constantin

Message 14 of 17
anavaidya
in reply to: ConstantinBudui

Hi Constantin,

Here's what the exposure settings mean:

Native - uses the exposure settings set in the file in Revit (or Autocad, Navis, etc).

Advanced - uses automatic exposure. The render engine computes the exposure for the image such that most areas in the view look balanced.

File formats like jpeg, png and tiff are just output formats for the final image. 

It will be great if you can send a demo scene for us to look at. It'll help identify the problems, if there are any. Also, since you cannot share your models, if you still want us to see your images, we can set up a conference call. Please contact me on the email mentioned above in the thread.

Thanks,

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 15 of 17
steve.hebsch

If you don't include the solution on these forum boards, sort of makes them useless...
Message 16 of 17
anavaidya
in reply to: steve.hebsch

Hi @steve.hebsch,

Please look at my answer posted on 07-13-2017. 

The problem arises if the lighting in Revit is set to Exterior: Sun only. Once you change it to it to Interior: Artificial only or Interior: Sun + Artificial, you will be able to see the lights being rendered. 

Aradhana Vaidya
Message 17 of 17
steve.hebsch

Hello @anavaidya ,

Much appreciated. I missed this will scrolling through.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report