Community
A360 Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s A360 Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular A360 topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Revit Files

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
aangle
1475 Views, 17 Replies

Linked Revit Files

Currently their is no way to view linked Revit files in A360, is that correct?  They are only individaul uploaded files in the persaonal A360 Hub.

Even using C4R and a Team Hub to publish up to A360 this is not possible either with Revit, correct?  It publishes the one file, not the linked file as well?

Only via a uploaded NWD file would you be able to see all diciplines in a single model?

If my testing is correct all that is true as I have not been able to keep an Architectural model linked to the MEP.  Are their plans in the work to allow you Publish models from Revit to A360 and merge them in A360 to view as single modle like in A360 Glue?

Allen

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hi Allen,

Thanks for posting the question and I have forwarded it on to the team to see if any of this is currently possible.

As far as what the plan is in the future, can you post this to the IdeaStation as well. That is the best place for future requests.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-ideastation/idb-p/206

Thanks and I'll update this post when I hear back from the team.
Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 3 of 18
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: aangle

Allan,

You certainly can view Linked RVT Models inthe context of the Host Model.  If you're dealing with uploads to A360 itself, just use the "Composite Design" optionand select the Host.  If you're worikg with C4R, links are automatically included with any publish operation.  If you want to separately view the linked models, they need to be published independently.

Let us know if you're not seeing this behavior in practice.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 18
aangle
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Well then I need help understanding how to do this.

I published a simple Revit MEP model via C4R into my Team Hub that had the Architectural model linked in, but I see no Architectural in A360?  See attached....

Then in my personal Hub I uploaded the Architectural model and the MEP (that had the Architecture linked in) yet no Architecture shows up in the MEP model in A360.  See attached....

Further direction must be needed based on operator error.

Allen

Message 5 of 18
aangle

Hold on Kyle, I am an $*@, it seems my Linked Architecture got un-Linked some where along the way. I am getting on a Conference call at the moment and will retry in a few hours as that will probably solve the problem.
Message 6 of 18
aangle

So I am a buffoon and it was operator error!  Some how my Linked files were unlinked and caused the problems.

So C4R worked as I would have expected it to when published and with the Views I set up.  

That said the URL Links in fields for Equipment don't seem to work?

I also had never tried to upload more they one model to my Personal Hub before so I hadn't got that 'Composite Option'. Maybe I missed that in documentation or the Hangouts at some point.  But that still did not work, even with the linked model issue corrected.  Neither did all the views come over into A360?  Attached is my view from A360 via uploading an ARCH, STRL and MEP as a Composite Model.  At minimal you should see the entire Architectural model (attached image from Revit) and with the MEP Equipment on the Roof.  When uploading all three which one does it take the views from?

I uploaded the MEP separately after the composite didn't work. Even then it did not bring in all the views from Revit, only a single 3D view and the sheets.

I would expect C4R to be more comprehensive but unless it's operator error again I don't see where the Personal Hub is getting us anywhere close?

Allen

Message 7 of 18
aangle

OK, so doing the 'Composite Design' again and making the MEP the Parent I got further along.  I got all three models, BUT still only one 3D view.  None of the other 3D views that would actually let me see inside the model or between the ceiling and floor are there. I can't very easily see inside the model at all now.

Something still was wrong previously with the 'Composite Design' with the Architecture as the Parent, as the image showed their was not very much Architecture there.

That 

Message 8 of 18
KyleB_Autodesk

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, so doing the 'Composite Design' again and making the MEP the Parent I got further along.  I got all three models, BUT still only one 3D view.  None of the other 3D views that would actually let me see inside the model or between the ceiling and floor are there. I can't very easily see inside the model at all now.

Something still was wrong previously with the 'Composite Design' with the Architecture as the Parent, as the image showed their was not very much Architecture there.

That 

Allen,

What you are seeing is the default View translation behavior for A360, where we attempt to produce on "uber 3D view" for the Host + loaded Links.  If you want to define which 3D Views show up in A360, you want to use the new "Views for A360" feature - look on the Collaborate Tab - delivered in the latest C4R Addon.  That feature works even if you carry it out on non-Cloud Workshared models, so you can run it on your models you are manually uploading to A360.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 18
aangle
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Now we have it, that does give me views in A360.  Personal Hub now matches Team Hub.

Am I missing where all this is documented and am just bothering you and this forum for the direct answers?  If so, I am sorry.

Any thoughts on the URL's not working from that data field?

Allen

Message 10 of 18

Kyle,

I am having difficulty linking files as a composite design. My RVT file (Arch) has structural linked in and pathed to the same folder that the Arch is in. Yet when I upload the Arch file to A360 Project Hub, the Arch model does not contain the Structural file.

There are no Upload Options with Composite Design as indicated in the Help file [http://help.autodesk.com/view/ADSK360/ENU/?guid=GUID-475EF5A7-5656-4E07-8569-4F79ADB32C3A]

Any help on this from you or anyone else is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Message 11 of 18
BrettWright
in reply to: philip.rothey

Hi Philip,

I'll take a stab at this for you with a few questions.

Prior to your uploading the Revit model into A360 via the (Composite function if you're using the old A360 interface, or Assembly if you're using the new), are you checking to see if 1) all the files are in the same folder first, and then 2) that the links from within Revit are actually referencing the other models correctly i.e. the structural one?

typically the rules are as follows.

1. Put all files in the same folder (parent and children)
  2. Check the link paths in the parent file so that they are correctly referencing the children now that they've moved into the same folder.
  3. Select the Assembly upload option, choose the parent file, then upload button.

Let me know if either 1 or 2 might be the issue here please.

Jupiter Feedback - upload assembly.png

Jupiter Feedback - upload assembly2.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 12 of 18
noachergai
in reply to: philip.rothey

Hi from Europe 🙂 I have the same problem, how to upload and visualize a project and your linked file in A360 free or A360 Drive? thanks
Message 13 of 18
noachergai
in reply to: noachergai

...Thanks Brett now its ok!... Uploading assemblies is the solution.

But there's a problem: its not possible to upload an Assembly in A360 Drive... :((((

Message 14 of 18
BrettWright

Hi Ada,

You're right, the Assembly upload doesn't work in A360 Drive, only in A360 Team.

Review this post that my colleague Bud was involved in re: this very topic with an Inventor customer. It can be done using the A360 Desktop Sync functionality as you'll see. (Desktop Sync is a product that is included during the install of AutoCAD or Inventor, but not Revit)

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 15 of 18
noachergai
in reply to: BrettWright

Hi Brett, I tried to put my test files inside A360 Desktop. Ok, my folder is loaded onto A360 Drive regularly. But then, open the folder, inside there are both files (the master file and the linked files). If you open the master file, the linked file is NOT displayed. There is nowhere a chance to say which is the main file. Instead, in A360 this is possible and as I told you I I succeeded. I read the post of Bud that you reported to me... thanks!

Message 16 of 18
BrettWright

Ok thank you Ada, really appreciate the feedback on your testing that process from Drive/Sync.

Just to confirm what you're saying here,

• Even though you put all the files in your local A360 Drive (your name) folders and then used "sync" to get them into your online A360 Drive, that still didn't allow the model to display correctly with all the other files linked properly once it was uploaded.
  • So that would tell me that this process works for Inventor Assemblies, but not for Revit models.

Is this correct?

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Have a great day 🙂

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 17 of 18
noachergai
in reply to: BrettWright

Hello Brett, yes, if I do not make any mistakes... that's it! thanks to you, and to all 🙂
Message 18 of 18
BrettWright

ok thanks Ada, 🙂

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report