Community
A360 Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s A360 Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular A360 topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet View - Can't comment on an object

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Chad-Smith
380 Views, 9 Replies

Sheet View - Can't comment on an object

It would seem as though when in a Sheet view, that you cannot Comment on an object. Instead you have to use Comment on a point.

I find this inconsistent because objects are indeed selectable with general user interaction in Sheet views.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Chad,

This is another great suggestion to add to our IdeaStation.

A360 IdeaStation:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-ideastation/idb-p/206

Thanks
Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 3 of 10

Yes, Great Idea!!!

Charles Berteaux IV
EDT BIM/VDC/Technology Department Manager | SSOE Group | Hillsboro
www.ssoe.com

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 4 of 10

Hi Chad and Charles, 

I'm not sure if you've posted this in the Ideastation yet regarding how you'd like to be able to use the Object option for commenting in the sheet views besides just the Point option, however, I had a question for you regarding that if you both wouldn't mind me asking?

Can you tell me if that scenario of commenting would be specific to a Revit user, or a Inventor/Fusion user,  both, or possibly someone else? When I think of the sheet views, I'm thinking typically of a 2D XY location that i'd be selecting but, I believe you're describing another snenario where you'd want to pick some object on a sheet, and i was just wondering what that scenario or situation would be.

Let me know please,

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 5 of 10

I think maybe your right Brett. after reviwing some other "Commenting" features in Autodesk softwares, I dont see the ability to comment on embeded data that comes from another source.

In dwf, you use draw style tools to make comments, In Navis it takes screen shots you can mark up on....

I suppose this would suffice. the Point on an object....

I think we were more after embeding the comment with that object, so that when the days of getting it back into the working model happen, we could see those comments about that specific object and have them highlighted in the models some how.

but your right at the "Sheet Level" its all 2D at that point....

Charles Berteaux IV
www.ssoe.com

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 6 of 10
Chad-Smith
in reply to: BrettWright

Brett, I want the latter.

My understanding is that these models/sheets in A360 are simply DWF files which are generated from the uploaded files.

So, I believe that DWF's are intelligent enough to understand that an object I select in a 3D view, is the same element which I can select in a Sheet view.

You can see in this image that the object is very much selectible in a Sheet view, it's just that I can't comment on it.

a360-commentobjectinsheet.jpg

To take this further, if an object in sheet and 3D are essentially linked (i.e. the same object), then it stands to reason that a comment on an object should be viewable in any view (3D or Sheet). Why be restricted to just the view in which it was created.

This obviously comes with further complications like; having to use a global (to the file) numbering system so there are no duplicates, and some way of organising the comments created in the opened view to those comments from other views.

Message 7 of 10
BrettWright
in reply to: Chad-Smith

Thank you both for the clarification here, now i get what you're after, and it totally makes sense.

Yes, one should be able to comment at the sheet or model object level since really they're the same object, as well the comment should show up in both locations vs. just the one where the comment was added.

Chad, i know that you've been adding in a lot of Commenting feedback into the Ideastation as of late, could i ask you to post this as well as a separate item, unless you've already done so?  And then Charles, please either just add your kudo to this, or if you want to add in your color commentary as well to the initial post, then please do so.

Again, Gentlemen, thank you for the clarification, really good information and i'll be passing it along over to the Revit crew as well.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 8 of 10

Bud,

I added the Color Scheme to the main NEW IDEA section here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-ideastation/commenting-migration/idi-p/5511725

This is definitely a good topic!!!

Charles Berteaux IV
www.ssoe.com

Message 9 of 10

Thanks Charles,

Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 10 of 10
Chad-Smith
in reply to: BrettWright

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report