Announcements
Announcement: A360 Drive Ideas was archived on July 24, 2018. You can still share ideas on the A360 Drive Forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A360 SYNC folder needs to be movable

A360 SYNC folder needs to be movable

I, no doubt like many others, use an SSD as my C:\ drive. We need to be able to move the A360 folder to an HDD so that its syncing doesn't waste writes on our precious SSDs.

35 Comments
ericbeckman5564
Contributor

I get the feeling that Autodesk is now putting most of their efforts into BIM 360 Glue as the one place files can be centrally located and a Navisworks model can be maintained.  We stopped using A360 as it just took to much space on our solid state drives.  

oded
Explorer

We need to be able to move the A360 folder to an HDD 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Moving folder in this professional environment is more than essential. A year has passed and there's no development for this. Whole A360 Drive should work like Google Drive (change folder location which is a real folder; selectable folders for sync, etc.), for example. WHEN?
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
Autodesk Support
Status changed to: Under Review

Bill.Neuhauser
Advocate

Crickets........  any updates?     This is pretty big guys, so ignoring it won't make it go away.

MilesGregson1916
Enthusiast

Tumbleweed............silence............. Dropbox it is then.

KALH
Advocate

25 GB are still manageable on any local hard drive the issue here is when you get a 100 GB subscription plan (over 25% of my 512 GB SSD) that's unbearable and we cannot sustain this on long term. If we had a possibility to push this on a personal shared drive (server based) we will be sure that ir will back up properly too. Please A360 Dev team consider the ability to target else where than C drive...Thanks for listening.

aaronfross
Collaborator

"25 GB are still manageable on any local hard drive"

No, that is not correct. I have a small SSD, only 200GB. Every single GB is critical. I have to watch the system like a HAWK because so many applications are super bloated and give zero consideration to how much space they consume.

KALH
Advocate

at $.39 (39 cents per GB) I will recommend to upgrade to 1 TB SSD - only $390. prices dropped down significantly...

chandan.singh
Autodesk

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your valuable feedback. 

Currently A360 Desktop (Autodesk Sync) does not provide option to change the folder-location.

But we are looking into ways to prevent consuming too much free space on user machines to address this issue.

Thanks,

Chandan

StephenLydall
Participant

I too have this issue, exact same issue, C:\ is my boot drive and is not meant to have large data files such as this one on it. My SSD drive does not have the space to spare.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

MLINK is a workaround, that's it. It's also intended for the advanced user who has a lot of time on their hands. It is not a solution and not intended for Architects or other users who have other issues to worry about!

Autodesk ought to request it's user's where the Autodesk360/A360 drive should be placed. 1) local drive, 2) local archive drive, 3) NAS (ALL variants desktop and enterprise), 4) storage outside of your network (eg: hosted ftp, or other data solutions, ie colocation). Not to mention easy to migrate / move. 

This shouldn't come to no surprise to the developers... where else do they store their data?! Obviously, local archive drive and on a network storage device. If they store all their data / code directly on their desktop's local disk... then they're clearly naive and no consideration for the amount of work involved with their work... especially when that work put's food on the table and pay's bills. If Autodesk is this naive with how and where our data is stored... shouldn't they be responsible for the loss of our data? I would think so, but today's society doesn't know what accountability is. So, HOW in the world would their consumers need's be any different than their own?! The options ought to be available.

Also to note other comments regarding: Box, Gdrive, onedrive, etc... are just as bad. Configuration and reliability of these services are a joke. Those service's are a joke and a scam. Users have more control of storage by connecting to a local / remote network drive (webdav, ftp, etc.) than the previously mentioned. I don't know how many times I've lost files using the aforementioned services, but when I store data on my int/ext network's data is redundant and recoverable. Create your own redundancy network solution! QNAP, Synology, Trendnet, drobo... which are preconfigured consumer setups... or build your own.

Collaboration for Revit does not support linking file types other than Revit. Moving Dropbox to a common path and linking from there seems to be a solution. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/linking-files-autodesk-a360-collaboration-revit-eric-koehne. could this also prove a solution were A360 Drive moveable? 

MatthewFrost
Explorer

I am shocked that this is not an option.  

I'm just setting up a new laptop (my first with an SSD) and have all of my documents set to my 😧 drive which is the HDD (windows Documents/Photos/Download folders etc as well as OneDrive).  

My SSD is sizeable, so this won't cause me problems immediately, but it is very frustrating, especially when all of my other programmes are capable of doing this.

Absolutely should be a standard feature and should have been included as an option from version 1.0.  The users ability to choose where to save files is a basic expectation for any software.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I, no doubt like many others, use an SSD as my C:\ drive. We need to be able to move the A360 folder to an HDD so that its syncing doesn't waste writes on our precious SSDs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report