Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Utility for released items to current version of Inventor

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
alundr
770 Views, 13 Replies

Migration Utility for released items to current version of Inventor

If I have an item released and I want to migrate it to my current version of inventor, I have to change the state to Work In Progress, check the file out, save it, check it back in, update the item in item master, and finally re-release the item.  Currently my company has about 200,000 items in our item master, so doing this manually is not an option.  Can we get a utility that will do all 6 of these steps automatically?

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mthomas
in reply to: alundr

additionally for companies like ours where we don't want to count a straight migration (as in no other changes) as a revision. I would like to be able to migrate the files associated with released items without touching the item

Mike Thomas

Message 3 of 14
gaasheim

To minimize the hazzle I open the files in item master with skip bump. I lock the folder where the files are located. Then i use the task scheduler to perfom the task. Create task, migrate, remember to put on create visualization file under options. Then update and release in item master when it's finished.

However this is time very consuming, so migrating released files would be welcomed in my company.

Message 4 of 14
ihayesjr

Are you migrating the files to stay up with the latest Inventor version? Inventor and Vault don't require a migration of the file unless you are editing the file. Then it will get migrated when it is edited.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 5 of 14
alundr

Because of our large vault size, our cad users will wipe their local copies and re-download the files from the vault.  Upon saving, there is a request to migrate the files.  I know the migration prompt can be bipassed on the local level, but that will not actually reduce the save time.  

Also, as a result of some of our sheet metal files not being migrated up to the current version, when you copy the file their flat pattern errors out and has to be re-created.  The re-creation wrecks the drawing and then that has to be redone.  

Message 6 of 14
tmoney2007

I was told by sales people that these tools already existed.

Sometimes files are not edited for years, but are still used regularly.  Being more than a couple versions behind with inventor files can seriously affect useability of the system.  Being able to mass migrate (based on lifecycle would probably be the easiest criteria) would be very helpful.

Message 7 of 14
alundr

There is a migtation tool to migrate files.  Unfortunitually, it cannot migrate files that are linked to released items (documents).  Files that are linked to released items are locked.

Message 8 of 14
DaveBlood7801

Our company reuses multiple files over and over again.  These files are locked down using the item master and are all in the released state.  We continuinly have issues with every version of Inventor related to the migration of those files.  To have to manually create a change order, add all these parts to change them to work in progress and then to migrate them, is not a process that can be done manually due to the sheer number of parts involved.  When you install vault on the server it migrates the content center, is it possible to make it schedule a tast to migrate every single files within vault including the released items?  This would save many hours of crash and other issues all relating to the migration of the files.

Many thanks.

Message 9 of 14
ihayesjr
in reply to: DaveBlood7801

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 14
ihayesjr

Dave, Have you tried using Vault 2014 with Subscription Release 1? This should help as you should not have to migrate files that are released and have not changed.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 14
swalton

ihayesjr,

I am still on IV 2012 and Vault Collaboration 2012, so I don't know the latest workflows, but I think the issue is that Inventor automatically migrates any file from an old version on file open. If the file is released, Vault won't let Inventor save the modified file.  This can be confusing.  Also, users get to wait for IV to make the file migrations each time they open the file.

I think that Vault, (at least the paid version, but all would be fine) should have a file store migration tool that moves the stored files from one release to the next.  This tool should not require a Revision bump, just a Version bump.  (edited to add:) I would also be ok with no Version Bump.  Just move the filestore to the new release.  That way I don't get 200k new files in my filestore and database each time I change IV releases (end edit)

Ideally, it would allow an administrator to assign unused workstations to the migration task.  I would schedule all workstations in my organization to run after business hours to perform the migration.  I can see leveraging the Job Processor to make this work.

The current solution uses Scheduled Tasks created on each workstation.  It is hard to divvy the work between stations to speed the work.  If I use one workstation, it takes several days to do our migration. 

This is a task that must be run each time we change releases.  We tend to avoid it until the last minute before a release upgrade.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 12 of 14
tmoney2007

Vault DOES require files to be migrated, even if they aren't being edited.  Vault can only manage file relationships for files of the same or 2 prior releases.  This means that if you have a 2013 vault and it contains 2010 files, if you move those files within the vault and try to update file relationships, it will fail.

Migration tools for Vault are seriously lacking.  I can't even get the migrate task to work on more than about 500 files at a time, which is completely inadequate when the vault has hundreds of thousands of files in it.

Message 13 of 14
ihayesjr

With the recent Vault Subscription Update for 2014, files in Inventor are no longer required to be migrated to the latest release of Inventor.  Inventor will migrate them in memory however they do not need to be checked in if they are not modified.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 14
ihayesjr

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report