Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Master Improvements

Item Master Improvements

When it is being sold as the integration point for Vault, the Item Master is inadequate.

First, lifecycles for items should be as configurable as for files.  If you use the system as intended and control the lifecycle of the file through the item, you are severely constricted.

Items should assume the properties of the files that created them, or they should be easily called through the API.

Given the possibility that an item could be created before the CAD representation exists, there needs to be an ability to attach a CAD file as a representation of an item after the item has been created (this is also a huge hurdle if a company converts a product from 2D to 3D).

Document item types should exist so that external applications can reference and control files that don't represent parts.

OR do away with the item master and integrate the BOM capabilities (for 2D and 3D) of item master into the file interface and do away with item master altogether.

This would probably help with any plm integration, PLM360 included.

6 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

cbenner
Mentor

I agree with some of this, there definitely needs to be more interaction between File and Item.  I've gone back and forth for a year playing with this, and came up with a system that sets the revision on the file and sends it to the Item, only so I could use the Item Visualizations with the Watermark.  If not for that I wouldn't use Item Master at all... until Acad Electrical came along and didn't give me a choice!  I think the the 2 personalities of Vault need to work and play better together, or be molded into one that has the best characteristics of each.

RPdAnjou
Enthusiast

I agree with most of it.

Items are the main reference where all the documentation needed to produce the Item should be linked to.

Thereby this Item needs to be as flexible as possible.

Configuration should be flexible also.

As I stated a few times before, take a look at your old product "Productstream Pro" and learn from it!

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

There are many features like configurable lifecycle for Items implemented now in Vault 2015 R2. Please check the following link for more details: http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-0ADFC21B-C4E7-4197-A753-3132304F869D.

Best regards

Younes

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report