Vault General

Message 1 of 3 (144 Views)

Vault backup vs. system level backup

144 Views, 2 Replies
02-09-2013 06:54 PM

I know it is preferred to make backups using the Vault utility, but my IT guy is wondering why this is necessary when he is backing up the complete drive already.  Can anyone tell me exactly why system level backup are not recommended?

Thanks,

Steve

Employee
olearya
Message 2 of 3 (130 Views)

Re: Vault backup vs. system level backup

02-10-2013 03:09 PM in reply to: hshorst

Hi Steve,

We support console backups due to the nature of the Vault database/filestore relationship - our backup ensures that the file detail in the database matches exactly what is stored on disk.  Any backup strategy which cannot guarantee that these the components are not in sync are unsupported.

System level backups depending on how and when they are performed may actually achieve this but introduces risk. 

Hope this helps

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Employee
paul.gunn
Message 3 of 3 (110 Views)

Re: Vault backup vs. system level backup

02-12-2013 06:11 AM in reply to: olearya

In addition to Allan's comments, there is a white paper regarding doing third-party backups:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Community/Tips_and_Tricks/Using_3rd_Party_Tools_to_Backup%2F%...

If you investigate this route, you will want to invest some time making sure that the backups can be successfully restored to a working system. You wouldn't imagine how many people find out too late (after years of backups) that they were missing some key files(s) .

Paul

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community