Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revison of children items

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
xavier_dumont1
378 Views, 6 Replies

Revison of children items

Hello,

Consider this:

- Create a part

- Create an assembly who use this part

- Check-in to Vault

- Create item on the assembly +part.

- Release both

The assembly BOM shows:

Assembly revision A is using Part revision A.

- Change the part item to Work In Progress (Revision A => B)

. Release the part

The assembly BOM shows:

Assembly revision A is using Part revision B ?!?

Is it normal? In my opinion, it must shows that Assembly revision A is using Part revision A.

Any information about this will help me to understand.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: xavier_dumont1

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  If you revised the part to Rev B... of course the assembly is going to show that it uses Rev B, as that is now the current Rev?  In fact, to me, you would need to also revise the assembly since the component changed.... effectively revising the assembly form, fit or function.

Message 3 of 7
ryan
in reply to: cbenner

I *think* I understand what he is saying and I agree it isn't correct.

You have an item record (assembly) which uses another item record (part). Both items are at Revision A.  You release the item for the assembly which also releases the part.   Thus, both items are now released and it's important to remember here that Revision A of the assembly used Revision A of the part.  Now, you revise the part item record and re-release it as Revision B.   However, when you look at the BOM for Revision A of the assembly, it shows that it is used Revision B of the part which is incorrect because when Revision A of the assembly was released, it used Revision A of the part.  So, in the Vault client, even though you have the drop-down, it's always showing based on Latest.   The web client also suffers from the same problem.  Also, the fact that the item records were created from files probably doesn't factor in because the issue is revolving around items.

Now, on the file level, the drop-down in the main VP client works (unlike with item records); however, there is still an issue on the web client side because you always see by "Latest" but you should have the option to see the history.

See screenshots.

P.S.  I had a much larger write-up but then the power went out and didn't feel like re-writing the whole thing so I slimmed it down.

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

Exactly, you understand my question.

Here is a video to better understand.

I try with Productstream 2008 and the behavior is the same.

Is there an Autodesk employee who can give us a feedback on this (is it normal? If yes, what are the reasons?).

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 7
bjzhangzx
in reply to: xavier_dumont1

Actually I think I figured out the mechanics behind the BOM view:

1. The Latest revision view will always show the latest version of all items in the BOM no matter released or not and whatever you choose for the Date.
  2. If you choose a revision from the drop down list, it will show the latest released versions for all items in the BOM which are released (or effective?) BEFORE the next revision of current item is released.
  3. When a revison is choosed, you can select the Date dropdown to specify the Date (and Time, additionally) you want to see the actual BOM by that time. For example, revision A of item 30000002 was released at 2014/3/20 19:09, which you can know from vault property, then you may want to specify 2014/3/20 19:09:59 as the time to see the CORRECT BOM, because Vault actually keeps very precise time value in the database. However, in a real world, an item should not be revised so frequently, so use only a date should be enough.

2014-03-20_19-56-59.png

2014-03-20_19-57-45.png

2014-03-20_19-59-24.png

Message 6 of 7
bjzhangzx
in reply to: bjzhangzx

4. I think it is reasonable for the default view of a revison to show all the latest released items by that time, but maybe it is better to have the default view to show the BOM state at the exact time when the revision is released?

5. However, in the web client, there is no Date dropdown for us to select the date, I think this should be fixed.

Message 7 of 7
ryan
in reply to: bjzhangzx

You are correct with respect to your findings regarding the BOM Time; however, I still don't think the behavior is correct;

* When you specifically choose a historical revision (e.g. Revision "A") you should see the BOM exactly as it was when released - you shouldn't need to change the date dropdown - it should automatically default to the date the revision was released to show you the correct BOM.

* In the web client, you don't have these controls like you do in the full UI so you can't even see the BOM exactly as it was at time of release.

* As I mentioned, with respect to file relationships with revisions, you have a similar problem in the web client whereby it is showing as latest as well

-Ryan
Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report