Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision letter randomly changed

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
jcorson8499
560 Views, 19 Replies

Revision letter randomly changed

ok so me and another co-worker just sat down and set the revision letter to all 590 files so that the rev control would now start to work. we went thru file by file and looked at the print to see what revision the print was at and then we changed the revision in Vault. after we were all done we refreshed and started to put the files into a released state and then we noticed that some of the revsions didnt match. ok so i thought i screwed 1 or 2 files up. ok out of 590 i wasnt mad, but then we started to notice more and more files werent matching up to the print.

any thoughts on why this happened or how to fix this?

i know i cannot go back rev letters but will a restore to the last backup work?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
cbenner
in reply to: jcorson8499

Is there a pattern to this?  Is it bumping the revision when you set the State to released?  Your Vault may be set to bump revision on a lifecycle state change.  For example our is set up so that when we go from Released to Work In Progress it bumps the primary revision level.  Do you know how to set/check that?

Message 3 of 20
jcorson8499
in reply to: cbenner

there is no pattern, rhyme or reason to what is happening.

i am able to replicate the issue tho.

it seems to be having the issue when i do a mass revision change.

Message 4 of 20
cbenner

So, workflow:  Highlight a group of files, select revise, set them all to the next primary revision and hit ok.... and some of them have a different revision than what you expected?  Dumb question, I am sure,... but are they all at the same revision to begin with?  (sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to cover everything).

Message 5 of 20
jcorson8499

my work flow -

select all files

set each files rev letter(each file is different)

click ok

once vault refreshes sometimes the letter do not match what i just inputted

Message 6 of 20
cbenner

Message 7 of 20
jcorson8499

Revise

Message 8 of 20
cbenner

Ok,... I just went through a few files I have in a testing area and followed your workflow.  I'm afraid I can't duplicate it.  Is this Vault 2013?  What level of Vault?  (pro, workgroup etc)

I'll see if I can get some people's attention to your problem.

Message 9 of 20
jcorson8499

Vault Pro 2012.

i tested 4 times yesterday with 16 new files.

1st time - half the rev letters changed

2nd,3rd,4th - all rev letter stayed what they were supposed to be

Message 10 of 20
olearya

HI There,

This issue is quite unusual and although I see that a support case has been opened for this but am concerned this will be hard to replicate. 

Can I ask where the revision information is being sourced from?  If the revision letter is stored within the file it is possible to set the revision from this property through the revise command - I would be interested to see if this also displays the same issue.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 20
jcorson8499
in reply to: olearya

Hi, yes it is hard to replicate as i tried multiple times and only was able to replicate twice.

i was using the revise command. 

Message 12 of 20
olearya

Can you test this again using revise from "User Defined Properties"?  

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 20
jcorson8499

i am not familiar with the 'User Defined Properties'

how would i do that?

Message 14 of 20
olearya

Hey there,

A little light reading 🙂

Revise Files - Vault Client > Revise a file from a user defined property:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0001-Using_Va1/0024-Work_wit24/0025-Revise_F25

User Defined Properties:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0097-Administ97/0127-Client_A127/0160-Properti160

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 20
jcorson8499

ok its been a rough morning so disregaurd my last post. i have tried using UDP's and it has not worked. 

FYI - after i screwed the rev letters up we did a restore to the vault. we added SP2 to the server and client. i ran a few more tests with new files and everytime it worked fine.

my current thought, since tests pre rev letter inplementing ran fine but implementing didnt, are my new results conclusive? it seems to me like a roll of the dice and i do not want to roll the dice on the live vault data again. our IT dept is getting a little agitated with restoring the vault.

SO....my next thought is....

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Copy-live-vault-to-test-vault/m-p/3753431#M45999

Message 16 of 20
jcorson8499

i was setting the rev letter using the Revise button.

yes the rev letter is in the Inventor file but we are also doing this to AutoCad and Office files.

i tried to replicate the issue ALL last week. everytime i ran test everything worked fine. So idk if the issue is still here or not. im done testing this issue.

While implementing the rev letter to the live files if something goes wrong i will be looking into this again but until then i am done.

Message 17 of 20
jparks_79

Hello,

I am also seeing the same exact issue. We are using vault 2012 pro.

I select, lets say 10 files(5 idw and 5 ipt), and select Revise. I use the "from udp, I can see clearly that all files Rev number is set to A. Then I get a random file revised to B. Now I am screwed. I cannot revert to a previous revision becaus ethe next poor guy who actually needs rev B cannot use it. Attached are some screen shots.

These files were all revised at the same time. I suspect that the Rev number property was also changed in example 2. Bu tth ehistory does not reflect that.

Message 18 of 20
jcorson8499
in reply to: jparks_79

Well no one has come up with a solution so the both of us are S.O.L. 

Message 19 of 20
olearya

Hey Gents,

Will connect with both of you offline and dig a little deeper into the problems - this type of issue is not easy to troubleshoot without dataset and a real good handle on the exact steps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 20
jcorson8499
in reply to: jparks_79

jparks_79, i sent Allan a video of the revision letter changing. so hopefully this will shed some light on a possbile issue. except i doubt it will.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report