Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with item security, hiding files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mark.cloyed
441 Views, 5 Replies

Problem with item security, hiding files

I have a client that requires the ability to hide certain files from certain groups.  They are using item security, so that they can connect to a SharePoint site and for a future ERP integration.  We understood that we are not able to hide items from a group, but we thought we could set folder security so that this group could not see the files themselves.   We now experience that if the item is in the WIP state, the item does not show the file associations for that group, but if the item is in the Review or Released states, the item shows the associated files, which can be viewed.  We need a way to control this so that we can hide certain designs from certain groups.  How can we accomplish this?

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ihayesjr
in reply to: mark.cloyed

Mark, this was moved from the IdeaStation because you are asking for help to solve a problem.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 6
plangley
in reply to: ihayesjr

So what was the resolution?

Message 4 of 6
mikel_martin
in reply to: plangley

Currently you can only set an Acess Control List (ACL) to a file when the Item is move to a non-WIP state. The same ACL is applied to the file for all non-WIP states.

When applying the Item ACL to files, the override ACL is removed when the Item is set to the WIP state. Which causes the file to revert back to the folder level security.

Currently the only control you have over this process is what users are in the ACL and if the ACL is used or not.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 6
plangley
in reply to: mikel_martin

I'm not understanding what you are suggesting. I have set the folder level security to restrict certain groups from seeing the files, but when the items are release, the files become visible again. So isn't that setting a folder level ACL? How do I set an ACL that will hide the files in a folder after the item is released?
Message 6 of 6
mikel_martin
in reply to: mark.cloyed

In the admin dialog you can set the ACL that is to be applied to the file when the ACL is released.

If you choose to apply that ACL it will completly override the folder security (its not a merge).

It is possible to choose to not apply the ACL on Item release. This will cause the file to still follow the folder security. But the file will not be locked based on the Item state.

2014-03-18_9-51-40.png

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report