Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a quick way to copy an assembly into a new project?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sathersc23
289 Views, 4 Replies

Is there a quick way to copy an assembly into a new project?

Hey all,

Short story:

I am trying to figure out a quick way to effectively do a pack-and-go to a single path, but break the project link.

Long story:

We use a 3rd party FEA software for simulation, but still want to Vault the files for design history. Right now I have to rebuild all of the assembly files and copy all of the sub components manually under my FEA project folder to prevent myself from modifying released files when I go through and do things like split faces and defeature for FEA purposes. 

I would love to just load a pack and go, kill the project file so it doesn't reference my groups WIP files in the process, without having to rebuild the structure to use the pack-and-go files I have already copied "out of the project".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: sathersc23
Message 3 of 5
sathersc23
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I've found copy design relatively cumbersome when trying to move assemblies with hundered of parts (of course I want unique copies of them all too). Granted I am not running FEA on hundereds of parts, but even copying 5-10 parts to a new location for a model can be cumbersome using that tool.

Unless of course you do not have to re-enter the information line by line like I am.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: sathersc23

Copy Design allows you to do a Find/Replace on both file names and the destination path.  This can speed things up considerably.  You may notice as well, at the bottom, there is a method for adding a prefix or suffix to file names... this could also speed things up quite a bit.  I won't argue, the bigger the assembly the longer it takes.... but it's a heck of a lot faster than re-creating your assembly just for the FEA.

To do the find/replace...right click in a field and select replace.  Then just type in the old string, and a replacement string.  Always double check everything before hitting OK.  I've been bit more than once by missing something in large assemblies.

Message 5 of 5
sathersc23
in reply to: cbenner

I tried it again. I'll skip the copy/replace. The functionality is just as tedious for what I am doing.

Thanks for the effort! 🙂

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report