Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Vault and data management server console

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
hheng1111
989 Views, 8 Replies

How to install Vault and data management server console

I'm using vault for the very first time and am needing a little help getting it setup. Right now I have the client and server programs installed directly to my computer. I didn't edit any settings during the installation. I just installed it with the default configuration. We keep our Inventor projects saved on our server, not on our machines. I'm wanting to set Vault up so that multiple users can use and access it and have it linked with the files on our server. Does anyone know of how-to videos or step-by-step instructions on setting everything up?

Thanks in advance for your help. We are running the 2014 suite.

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
scottmoyse
in reply to: hheng1111

The predominant concept of Vault is that files are downloaded from a non human readable location on the network to the users local hardrive. That local location is called the Vault workspace.

It is possible for your current network location to be the Vault workspace, but I would advise against other than in a few very specific circumstances. Do you plan on using AutoCAD Electrical alongside Inventor in Vault?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 9
hheng1111
in reply to: scottmoyse

We don't use electrical very often, if at all. The main programs we use are inventor and autocad mechanical
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
Message 4 of 9
scottmoyse

ok then you should discuss with your team/boss about changing the working location of the data from your network to the local drives. Try to keep it simple by making sure everyones local workspace is on the same drive letter.

Then you will need to grab some of the data, do some testing, get Vault configured how you want it. Then plan for a time when no one is using any of the data, move it all over to your workspace. Then check the whole lot into Vault. Remove access to the network location and get everyone access to Vault.

Are you using Vault Basic?

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 9
hheng1111

So you mean everyone will be saving their work to their machines instead of the network? Right now all of our current and past projects are saved on one drive, on the network.

Yes, we are using Basic.
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
Message 6 of 9
scottmoyse

Yes they save to their local drives and then when they check that data in Vault, it should end up on a network drive.... but you are installing the Vault server onto your machine instead of the Network Server. So you have a couple of options.

You can point your filestore in ADMS to a network location. So a user checks in a file from their local drive to Vault, I believe it will then get sent to your PC, then the ADMS will move it to the Network filestore location (I don't think the client contacts the ADMS then moves it to where it says). So the file will move across the network twice in that scenario, if my understanding is correct. If you have a solid network, you shouldn't see any performance issues with that.... How many users are going to be connecting to the ADMS on your machine?

Or you can have the Backup run each night on your PC and backup to the network drive. Your backup plan on the network should then capture that daily backup. (This should happen anyway, even if you use the first scenario).

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
hheng1111

I believe there will only be 4 users accessing the vault. Is the way you're describing the most common way vault is setup? Just curious...
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
Message 8 of 9
scottmoyse

Smaller businesses will have the Vault on a PC. Just like you have, but will backup to a network location. Or they can manage the backups on that PC with ext drives etc..

Normally Filestores only generally get moved about if the IT departments get involved. I would keep it on the same machine as the ADMS server, it will perform better than way, inevitably. I just suggested the option to you in case your IT guys insisted on the files etc being live on the network.

4 is fine.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
swalton

The typical way to use Vault is to have the Vault Server software installed on a dedicated computer and then have the Client software installed on each user's computer.  As the size of the database, filestore and number of users increase that dedicated computer will scale from an old desktop machine (possibly one of the user's workstations) to a small dedicated server running the entire Vault Server, to a set of dedicated computers running different sub-components of the Vault software stack.

The Vault server replaces your network share.  Your users will use the Vault Client or the Vault commands in their CAD aplications to check files out from the Vault server (which moves the files from the server machine to the local machine).  They will do the design work, saving files on their local machine, until the work is done and then they will check the files back into the Server (which moves the files from the local workstation back to the server machine). 

The Vault Server software includes a backup utility that is the simplest way to capture the state of the Vault Database and the filestore. This will ensure that both components are in sync and will allow you to recover from a system failure.  Note that this tool only caputres the file versions that are checked-in.  Any file versions that are checked-out on individual workstations will not be backed up.

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report