Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders & files being duplicated by Vault

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
KobusE
484 Views, 2 Replies

Folders & files being duplicated by Vault

Good day all,

We have a peculiar problem lately when checking files into Vault.  Our projects are set up each with its own Vault, e.g. lets say Project 1 will have its own root folder and structure under that.

When one creates a new file, part, assembly or drawing, and save it in the working folder in the specific folder structure required, we will have the structure as follows:  c:\\Working\Project 1\Drawing Office\Modelling\Gantries (example).  The structure is duplicated in Vault as follows from the root level: $\Drawing Office\Modelling\Gantries (example).  When checking in the file, Vault recreates the structure as follows: $\Drawing Office\Drawing Office\Modelling\Gantries (example).  If the file previously existed in the correct folder, and was checked out for editing, it will now be duplicated, and you will still have the original file checked out.  If you check out the duplicated version, edit it and check it back in the structure will now look like this: $\Drawing Office\Drawing Office\Drawing Office\Modelling\Gantries (example).  It seems like the folder directly after the root ($) is the point where it gets duplicated.

I have created new ipj files as my feeling is that the virtual folder setting under the "Vault Options" is the cause of this problem.  However, if you then want to check in a file, it gives an error of folders to be mapped.  One cannot select the root folder ($) unless you work in a workspace.  We do not work in a workspace set up.

Our system specifications as follows:

Windows XP 64 bit

Inventor Suite 2012

Vault standard 2012

If anyone has come across this, please let me know what I am doing wrong and what can be done to fix this.

Regards

Kobus

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Mr_iso
in reply to: KobusE

We have just implemented 2013 Professional and have setup a test vault. I have been experimenting with checking files into our test vault and have experienced the same type of duplication dilemma you describe. Have you had any resolution to the problem?

Message 3 of 3
matt.smith
in reply to: KobusE

You are correct that the problem is based on the project (ipj) file and the Vault mapping.  

Vault doesn't allow what you are attempting to do (you want $ to map directly to the Project1 folder) essentially.  A couple options:

1. Introduce a Project1 folder in Vault.  Now you'll be able to map $/Project1 to the Project1 folder on disk.

2. Introduce a Project1 folder in Vault.  Change your project's workspace to be .\Project1.  With a workspace in place, you can now map $ to Project1 on disk.

Off hand, I don't know the reason for the restriction.

Hope that helps,

- Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums